This page contains information that is relevant to all students who are following MA programmes in the Philosophy Department or who take MA modules in the Philosophy Department. You can find links to required forms, as well as other important information on this page. Please read all the information carefully and email the graduate secretary email@example.com if you have any questions.
- Departmental Academic Study Skills Moodle page (aimed at Undergraduate Students but may also be helpful for Master's students). Please contact the DSEP (Director of Student Experience and Progression) Karen Simecek if you have any queries.
- Procedure for submitting assessed Essays/Dissertations
- MA Marking Criteria
- MA Dissertation Submission Guidelines
- Examination Conventions for the taught element of the MA programme
- Penalties for late submission of work
- Resubmission of failed work
- Mitigating/Extenuating Circumstances
- Plagarism and Proofreading Guidelines for Submitted Work
Deadline Dates for MA Module Essays and Dissertation by Programme - Full Time Students and Part Time Students
You are required to discuss essay topics with module tutors at the earliest opportunity and before the module finishes. Students must have their essay titles approved by their course tutors (email approval is acceptable) and the appropriate online form (see the top right hand side of this webpage) must be submitted.
Please note any full time MA student who wishes to apply for a PhD should submit a draft essay to their referee(s) by early January to allow the referee(s) the chance to view work prior to writing a reference.
As each MA programme has a slightly different submission pattern, please find Full Time and Part Time Student Deadlines by programme for 2018-19:
Students can also find their deadlines on Tabula
MA Philosophy and the Arts (dissertation route)
MA Philosophy and the Arts (non-dissertation route)
Marks and Feedback
The Department aims to provide agreed marks for assessed essays (that are subject to the Examination Board and external examiner approval) on Tabula within 20 working days of submission. Please note the minimum pass mark for all postgraduate modules is 50.