The module will introduce a range of fundamental issues in contemporary political philosophy, focusing on questions revolving around political authority and demorcacy.
The particular issues focused on will include:
- What is the justification for political authority?
- Is there a duty to obey the law?
- Why should we value democracy?
- Should everyone have an equal right to affect the result of the democratic decision making process?
- When can we permissibly engage in acts of civil disobedience?
Timing and CATS
This module is running in the Spring term and is worth 20 CATS.