We are delighted to confirm that 10 awards of £5000 are available for students commencing MA study in the Sociology department in Autumn 2018. The award will automatically be deducted from the winners' tuition fees.
There will be five awards available for Home and EU candidates, and five awards for Overseas candidates. Successful part-time candidates will receive £2500 per year over two years.
Eligibility & Deadlines
- Open to applicants on all Sociology taught Masters programmes.
- Candidates must apply to the university and have paid their application fee no later no later than 27 April 2018. You must submit your application to the MA programme before submitting your scholarship application.
- Candidates must apply for the scholarship no later than 27 April 2018.
- All supporting documentation for the university application, including your reference, must be received no later than 11 May 2018.
- Successful candidates must obtain an offer from the university before taking up the award.
- Candidates may apply concurrently to other funding sources; however, successful candidates who receive major tuition funding elsewhere will be disqualified.
Each application will be judged on the following merits:
- Outstanding academic performance (70%)
- Outstanding case for support (30%)
Please note that this is not a needs-based scholarship, so your financial situation will not be taken into account.
Your case for support should be no more than 600 words in length and should differ from the statement of purpose submitted with your application to the university. You should address the following in your case for support:
- Your motivations for choosing to do a postgraduate degree in your specialisation
- Interesting and relevant individual attributes (eg, background, work experience, extracurricular activities, etc)—what unique perspective do you bring to the table?
- Quality of the statement—is it concise, well-articulated, engaging, etc
The scholarship application form can be downloaded here. It should be completed and submitted via email to Melissa Venables no later than 27 April 2018.
We aim to make a decision on applications within six weeks of the closing date. If you have not received the results of your application within seven weeks of the closing date, you may assume your application was not successful.