1. Social Conflict and Educational Change in England and France: 1789-1848, (with M. Vaughan), Cambridge University Press, 1971.
2. Contemporary Europe: Class, Status and Power (ed. jointly with Salvador Giner and joint Introduction), Weidenfeld & Nicolson, London 1971, & St Martin's Press, New York, 1971.
3. Students, University and Society, (edited, Introduction and Ch. on France), Heinemann, London, 1972.
4. Contemporary Europe: Social Structures and Cultural Patterns, (ed. jointly with Salvedor Giner), Routledge & Kegan Paul, London, 1978. Including 'The Theoretical and Comparative Analysis of Social Structure', pp.1-27.
5. Social Origins of Educational Systems, Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1979.
6. The Sociology of Educational Expansion: Take-Off, Growth and Inflation in Educational Systems, (ed.) Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1982. Including 'Introduction: Theorising about the expansion of educational systems', 3-64.
7. Social Origins of Educational Systems (University Text), Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1984.
8. Culture and Agency: The Place of Culture in Social Theory, Cambridge University Press, 1988.
9. Realist Social Theory: the Morphogenetic Approach, Cambridge University Press, 1995.
10. La Morfogenesi della Società, (Italian translation of above), Francoangeli, 1997, 398p.
11. Culture and Agency, 2nd Edition Revised, Cambridge University Press, 1996.
(with new concluding Chapter on Habermas)
12. Cultura y Teoría Social, (revised Spanish translation of above), Nueva vision, Buenos Aires, 1997, 363p.
13. The study of the tension between human equality and social inequalities�, M S Archer and E. Malinvaud (eds), Proceedings of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, Vatican City Press, 1995.
14. The Future of Labour and Labour in the Future, M.S.Archer and E.Malinvaud (eds), Proceedings of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, Vatican City Press, 1998, 422p.
15. The Right to Work:Towards Full Employment, M.S.Archer and E.Malinvaud (eds), Proceedings of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, Vatican City Press, 1998, 370p.
16. Critical Realism: Essential Readings , M.S.Archer et al (eds) (three chapters), Routledge, 1998, 720p.
17.Towards Reducing Unemployment; M.S.Archer (ed.), Proceedings of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences, Vatican City Press, 1999, 345 p.
18. Being Human: The Problem of Agency, Cambridge University Press, 2000.
19. Rational Choice Theory: Resisting Colonization, M.S.Archer and J.Tritter (eds), (joint introduction and one chapter), Routledge, 2000.
1. 'Les conceptions de l éducation et les tensions sociales en Angleterre au 19e siècle', Stato Sociale No. X, 1965.
2. 'Legal Norms and Social Order: Petrazycki, Pareto and Durkheim' (with M. Vaughan), British Journal of Sociology, Vol. 18, No. 3, 1967.
3. 'Some English and French notions of democracy in education', European Journal of Sociology Vol. 8, 1967.
4. 'Domination and Assertion, towards a theory of educational change' (with M. Vaughan), European Journal of Sociology Vol. 9, 1968.
5. 'L'Université et la Fonction Publique en Angleterre au 19e siècle', in T. Wyrwa (ed.) Pour un Droit Just et une Gestion Moderne, Serpic, Paris, 1969.
6. Higher Education and the Recruitment of Higher Civil Servants in Western Europe, Report commissioned by the International Social Science Council for its conference on this subject. Fontainebleau, April, 1969.
7. 'Education, Secularization, Desecularization and Resecularization' (with M. Vaughan), in D. Martin and M. Hill (eds), A Yearbook of the Sociology of Religion in Britain, No. 3, S.C.M. Press, London, 1970.
8. 'Egalitarianism in English and French Educational Sociology', European Journal of Sociology, Vol. 11, 1970.
9. 'Education', in J. Flower (ed.) Modern France: Introductory Studies, Methuen, London, 1970, (Revised version for Third Edition, 1976).
10. 'Domination and Assertion in Education', in E. Hopper (ed.), Readings in the theory of educational systems, Hutchinson, London, 1971.
11. Translation of E. Sullerot, La Femme dans le Monde Moderne , published under the title Women in Society , Weidenfeld and Nicolson, London 1971.
12. 'L'Administration consultative en Angleterre', in A. Sauvy, Traité d'Administration Consultative, Cujas, Paris, 1972.
13. 'F. D. Maurice: education and the national church', in M. Hill (ed.), A Yearbook of the Sociology of Religion in Britain, No. 5, S.C.M., Press, London, 1972.
14. 'France: the recent reforms in Higher Education', Times Higher Education Supplement, October 1972.
15. Current Research in Sociology for the VII World Congress of Sociology, Toronto, Canada, August 18-24, 1974. Special Congress Issue of Current Sociology (edited).
16. Problems of Current Sociological Research: the work of the Research Committees of the International Sociological Association, Vol. 23, 1975 of Current Sociology (edited).
17. 'On Predicting the Behaviour of the Educational System', British Journal of Sociology of Education, II, 2, 1981, pp. 211-219.
18. 'Educational Politics: A model for their analysis', in P. Broadfoot, C. Brooke and W. Tulasiewicz (eds), Politics and Educational Change, Croom Helm, 1981, 29-55.
19. 'Sociology of Educational Systems', in T. Bottomore, S. Nowak and M. Sokolowska (eds), Sociology: The State of the Art, Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1982, 233-275.
20. 'Morphogenesis versus structuration: on combining structure and action', British Journal of Sociology, XXXIII, 4, 1982, 455-483.
21. 'Process without System: Basil Bernstein and Pierre Bourdieu', Archives Européennes de Sociologie, XXIV 1983, 196-221.
22. 'Proceso sin Sistema', Perfiles Educativos, 7, 1984, 41-56.
23.'Structuration versus Morphogenesis' in S.N. Eisenstadt and H. J. Helle, (eds)., Macro-Sociological Theory, Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1985, 58-88.
24. 'The Myth of Cultural Integration', British Journal of Sociology, XXXVI, 3, 1985, 333-353.
25. 'Social origins of educational systems', in J.G. Richardson (ed.), Handbook of Theory and Research for the Sociology of Education, Greenwood Press, New York, 1986, 3-34.
26. 'The Sociology of Education', in Ulf Himmelstrand (ed.), The Social Reproduction of Organisation and Culture, Sage, London and Beverly Hills, 1986, pp. 59-87.
27. 'Education', in John Flower (ed.) France Today, 6th Edition, Methuen, London & New York, 1987, pp. 59-87.
28. 'The Problem of Scope in the Sociology of Education', International Review of Sociology, No. 1, n.s. 1987, 83-99. Monographic Section or 'Multilevel theories and method in the Sociology of Education: in search of a linkage' (ed. MSA with A. Yogev)
29. 'Resisting the Revival of Relativism', International Sociology, Vol. 2, No. 3, 1987, pp. 235-250
30. 'Theory, culture and post-industrial society', Sociologia: Revista di Scienza Sociali, 1 n.s. 1989.
31. 'Cross-national research and the analysis of educational systems', in M. L. Kohn (ed), Cross-national Research in Sociology, Sage, 1989.
32. 'Human Agency and Social Structure: A Critique of Giddens', in J. Clark, C. Modgil & S. Modgil (eds), Anthony Giddens: Consensus & Controversy, Falmer Press, 1990.
33. 'Foreword' and 'Resisting the Revival of Relativism', in M. Albrow & E. King (eds), Globalization, Knowledge & Society, Sage, 1990.
34. 'Theory, Culture and Post-Industrial Society', in M. Featherstone (ed), Global Culture, Sage, 1990.
35. 'Sociology for One World: Unity and Diversity', Presidential Address to the 12th World Congress of Sociology, International Sociology, 6:2, 1990.
36. 'Bourdieu's theory of cultural reproduction: French or universal?', French Cultural Studies, iv, 1993.
37. 'Taking Time to Link Structure and Agency', in Herminio Martins (ed), Knowldge and Passion, Tauris, 1993.
38. 'The Threat of Postmodernism in Christian Theology", in Francis P. McHugh & Samuel M. Natale (eds), Things Old and New: Catholic Social Teaching Revisited, Lanham, 1993.
39. 'Morphogenese und Kulturelle Wandel', in Hans-Peter Müller and Michael Schmidt (eds), Sozialer Wandel, Suhrkamp, 1995.
40. �The Neglect of the Educational System by Bernstein� in Alan R. Sadovnik (ed) Knowledge and Pedagogy: the Sociology of Basil Bernstein, Ablex, New Jersey, 1995, pp211-37.
41. �Realism and Morphogenesis� (in Russian), Sociologitcheskij Zshurnal/Journal of Sociology, 4, 1994, pp 50-68.
42. 'Charlotte Yonge (1823-1901): Novelist of the Oxford Movement', Review article, Victorian Periodicals Review, 27:4, 1994, pp 362-365.
43. �The Sociological approach to the tension between human equality and social inequalities�, in M.S.Archer and E.Malinvaud (eds), Proceedings of the Pontifical Academy of Social Sciences. 1995, pp. 81-99.
44. �La tripla morfogenesi dei nostri sé sociali: osservando la stratificazione sociale de una nuova prospettiva� in Carlo Mongardini (ed), Teoria Sociologica e Stratificazione Sociale,1996, Nuova Italia Scientifica, Rome, pp 13-42
45. �Social Integration and System Integration: Developing the distinction�, Sociology , 30:4, 1996, pp 679-699.
46. �Morphogenesis versus structuration on combining structure and action�, in Christopher G A Bryant and David Jary (eds), Anthony Giddens: Critical Assessments , Routledge, 1996, Vol.2, 25-52.
47. 'The dubious guarantees of Social Science: a reply to Immanuel Wallerstein', International Sociology, 13:1, 1998, pp 5-17.
48. �Foreword� to Walter Buckley, Society: A Complex Adaptive System, Gordon and Breach, Newark, N.J., 1998, p. iv-xiv.
49. �Social Theory and the Analysis of Society�, Sociologie et Sociétes, XXX:1, 1998, p. 9-22. (Special Edition for the World Congress of Sociology, 1998). French version, �Théorie sociale et analyse de la société, p. 9-22.
50. �From Empiricism to Realism�, in T.May and M.Williams, Knowing the Social World, Open University Press, 1999, p. 69 - 85.
51. �Unemployment: Social Needs and Economic Tendencies. Scenarios for their Ethical Reconciliation�, in M.S.Archer (ed.)., Towards Reducing Unemployment, Vatican City Press, 1999, p 45-60.
52. 'The Universality of Freedom and Control', Erwin K. Scheuch and David Sciulli (eds.), Societies, Corporations, and the Nation State, (The Annals of the International Institute of Sociology), Brill, Leiden, Netherlands, 2000, p. 77 - 96.
53. 'For structure: its reality, properties and powers: A reply to Anthony King', The Sociological Review, 48:3, 2000, pp.464 - 472.
54. 'Contemplating virtue�, in Kieran Flanagan and Peter Jupp (eds) Virtue Ethics and Sociology: Issues of Modernity and Religion, Macmillan, 2,000.
Transcendence: Critical Realism and God, (with Roy Bhaskar, Andrew Collier and Douglas Porpora), Routledge, forthcoming, Routledge, 2001.
Work and Human Fulfilment (ed. with Edmond Malinvaud), forthcoming, Ave Maria Press, 2001.