As well as my academic work, I have taken part in many disability-related projects through working in the charity sector for a number of years.
- 2007 Through my work with the Milton Keynes Centre for Integrated Living (MK CIL), I produced a 'Survival Guide' (2007) for disabled people living in Milton Keynes. The guide, funded by the local authority and Primary Care Trust, is a directory of local, council, voluntary and charitable organisations in Milton Keynes and covers everything from housing and health to shopping and the arts. It is now available in many public spaces.
- 2007 - 2009 Other project work has seen me faciliate a variety of service user consultation groups throughout Milton Keynes; these include, the Older Peoples' Forum (OPF), the Physically Disabled and Sensory Impaired Consulation Group (PDSICG) and the Disability Advisory Group (DAG).
- 2009 - Present I am a Director on the Board of Trustees for Milton Keynes Centre for Integrated Living.
- I have conducted 'Sex and Muscular Dystrophy' workshops for the Muscular Dystrophy Campaign (June 2009)
- 2008 - Present I currently volunteer secretariat services for the Milton Keynes Theatre and Gallery MK Access Group which works to consult with disabled people about access to local arts and theatre.
- March - June 2010 I have acted in a consultant capacity for Rainbow's Children's Hospice giving input into its Sex and Relationship Guidelines for Staff.
- Oct 2009 - Present I am currently sitting on the User Led Organisation Development Group (ULODG). The ULODG is supporting the creation of a local ULO Network which will support people who receive services from Adult Social Care and who will now be getting their own personal budget as part of the transformation agenda for social care.
Survival Guide launch 2007