Note: This page is aimed at WBS staff who wish to purchase Dragon Professional (previously called Dragon Naturally Speaking) using their Research Support Allowance or similar funding. There are separate versions of the software for Windows and Mac; please take care to order the correct one.
The Dragon range of software is recognised as the premier voice-recognition software. There are separate versions for PC and Mac(full disclosure, we have never used the Mac version and so cannot compare its capabilities with the PC version)
Both packages are available in a number of different flavours but it is important to purchase the one with 'Educational Online Validation' as this gives a large academic discount. At the time of writing (May '17) the most recent version is Dragon Professional 15.0 for PCs and Dragon Professional 6 for Macs. Typically the easiest and cheapest place from which to purchase this software is from Nuance's own website.
Unlike with all other software we have been informed there is no need to complete a 'Software purchase request' form when buying Dragon Naturally Speaking.
To buy the software:
- Locate the correct version of the software on Nuance's site. PC users should look for the latest version of Dragon Professional Individual Educational Online Validation Program. As of writing (May '17) this is here but is this is likely to change over time so you may need to search the Nuance website. Mac users should look for Dragon Professional Individual for Mac - Education. As of writing (May '17) this is here. Note down the price and confirm you are happy that this is the software you wish to purchase.
- Email email@example.com with:
- details of which package you wish to purchase (Dragon Professional for Windows or Mac)
- the link to the product on the Nuance site
- your Research Support Allowance budget code.
- eSolutions will order the software by charging to their purchasing card. All costs will then be recharged to your Research Support Allowance.
- The software is delivered as an electronic download. eSolutions will install this on to your WBS-computer if necessary.
- Although the licence agreement makes mention of the ability to install this onto two computers purchasers have reported to us they were prevented from installing more than once, i.e. if they wanted to use on a work and home PC they had to buy two copies. If you have more luck in this area please let us know so we can update this guidance.
- As you are purchasing the educational version you will need to complete an educational validation check when installing the software. This is likely the trickiest part of the process as the instructions from Nuance are less than clear. You will need to visit https://www.identit-e.com/nuance and then enter the 8-10 digit unique number that you received in the order email. This should then generate a serial number that you can use to unlock the software.
- Enjoy chatting to your PC/Mac!