First check the Fund Regulations to ensure you are eligible.
How to apply
Applications for 2019/20 will open in Week 5 (w/b 21st October 2019). The deadline for applications is midday (12pm) on Friday 24th January 2020.
Applicants are required to provide the following:
- an application form submitted online;
- a project proposal
- a full financial plan, of no more than six A4 sides;
- a reference from an academic member of University staff (e.g. personal tutor). This should be sent directly to the Fund Secretary by the deadline.
You may wish to look at an example of a previous successful application. This is an example only and should not be used as a definitive guide. Each year a broad range of proposals are funded and applications are judged against each other - an application that succeeds in one year may not have been successful in other years.
The LRMF Committee will meet to identify candidates for interview.
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 13 February 2019.
The Commitee will then meet to consider awards for 2017-18 on Wednesday 27 February 2019.
The application process
The application process is scheduled around the timetable of meetings of the Lord Rootes Memorial Fund Committee which are set out annually in the University Calendar.
Applications are usually submitted no later than the end of the first week of the spring term.
The Lord Rootes Memorial Fund Committee considers applications and identifies candidates to be called for interview at its meeting in January.
Interviews are held with members of the Committee in mid-February.
The full Committee meets to make final decisions on which projects to fund in early March (usually prior to the Easter vacation) and applicants are notified the following day.
Successful award holders receive 80% of their funding, usually in April. The remaining 20% is withheld until March the following year and is paid only if the Committee are satisfied with the project report, which must be submitted in the ninth or tenth week of the autumn term following the grant of the award (usually mid-late November).
Applications may be considered for projects to be carried out during the Christmas or Easter vacation where an applicant can exceptionally demonstrate that a proposed project is:
a) in line with the spirit of the Lord Rootes Memorial Fund’s strong personal development criteria, and
b) can only be accomplished within an earlier time scale.
The deadline for submission of such applications is the end of the first week of the Autumn term, for consideration at the October meeting of the Lord Rootes Memorial Fund Committee.
Interviews will be held with members of the Committee in mid-November and applicants will be notified prior to the University’s closure for the Christmas break.