6.30PM 2 July 2003, Horticulture Research International Wellesbourne
The Horticulture Research International Association (HRIA) invites you to HRI Wellesbourne for an informal evening walk around the site on Wednesday 2nd July at 6.30pm. You will have the opportunity to see many of HRI's world-class facilities and to hear about the exciting Research & Development projects being undertaken.
The facilities at Wellesbourne, sited on an estate of over 200 ha, include high specification containment glasshouses, an insect rearing unit and a range of sites for field experiments, including an organic area registered with the Soil Association. HRI Wellesbourne has recently joined the Countryside Stewardship Scheme and there will be an opportunity to discuss this with Matt Willmott from Defra, who assisted HRI with its Stewardship Scheme application.
A small team of HRI specialists will be on hand to discuss their work, including:
- Steve Adams, specialist in the physiology and agronomy of protected crops, particularly tomatoes and bedding plants.
- Rosemary Collier, vegetable specialist and entomologist specialising in the pests of field vegetables and bulbs.
- Brian Smith, specialist in vegetables, with a particular interest in plant genetic resources and improvement of allium crops.
- Dave Pink, plant geneticist specialising in host plant resistance to pests and diseases and quality traits of lettuce and brassicas.
- Sally Mann and Robin Wood, Horticultural Services Managers.
- Mike Davies, United Agri Products, who advises HRI on cereal agronomy, will also be in attendance.
Tea and coffee will be available in the staff restaurant and the staff bar will be open.
Non Members Welcome
There is no charge to attend this event and BASIS Points will be awarded on the day.
Miss Michelle King,
Fax: 01789 470552
Tel: 01789 470382