During the week beginning 18 August the Library will launch a new Web catalogue service.
While remaining easy to use, the new service is radically different from our current Web catalogue in look and feel, and offers features similar to the Library’s other electronic information services, such as
- Simple searching using a range of keywords
- Building advanced searches using multiple fields
- Searching for phrases, or words near each other
- Viewing electronic full-text records and other media such as pictures or video clips
- Marking records for saving
- Exporting or emailing records in a format suitable for ProCite or EndNote reference management services.
Of particular interest to off-campus users is an option to search for electronic resources only - this will become increasingly valuable as we add our online journals and electronic books to the catalogue.
A further feature is ‘My Catalogue’, a personal area offering full search capabilities plus additional options such as saving searches you may want to re-run, being told when we add new material matching your searches, ability to sort books on loan to you by due date, and renewing all your books in a single operation.
Library staff welcome the opportunities the new catalogue offers. We are confident staff and students will find it greatly improves their ability to locate information resources to support their research and learning.
Head of Information Services, Library