Skip to main content


The type of loan available to you may depend on your financial need. In addition, if you are an undergraduate student, the type of loans you are eligible is determined by whether you are regarded as a dependent or independent student for the purpose of federal aid. An independent student is one of the following;

  • Aged at least 24 years old
  • Married
  • A graduate or professional student
  • A veteran
  • A member of the armed forces
  • An orphan
  • A ward of the court
  • Someone with legal dependents other than a spouse
  • An emancipated minor
  • Someone who is homeless or at risk of becoming homeless

Enrolment Eligibility

Loans can only be certified for students who are enrolled at least half-time at the University. You are required to email studentfinance at warwick dot ac dot uk immediately if you withdraw or suspend from your course or drop below half-time.

Course Eligibility

Certain courses the University offer are not eligible for federal loan funds. Students on these courses may be eligible for a private loan. For example, Foundation courses or PGDip or PGCert courses or distance learning courses or courses in the Medical School are not eligible for Direct Loan funding.

We can only approve federal loans for students on eligible courses and if you have any query around course eligibility, please email studentfinance at warwick dot ac dot uk for advice.

If you are planning to undertake a course that has a study abroad element, you are advised to email studentfinance at warwick dot ac dot uk before you join the University as this may affect your eligibility for federal loans.

Maximum Timeframe

An undergraduate student is entitled to receive aid for 150% of the allocated course time frame.

Postgraduate students are entitled to receive aid for the length of their programme as determined by the University.

Study Abroad

If you plan to study abroad with a school that does not participate in the federal student loan program, this will make your whole course ineligible for federal loans. Please check the list of eligible schools before making the decision. This list is updated quarterly, so check with your intended school to be sure it currently participates

If you intend to study abroad, you are advised to notify the US Loan section within the Student Finance Team in the first instance before you join the University. Please note the University may not be able to offer you a study placement at an eligible institution.