Skip to main content

I am starting my full-time undergraduate or 2+2 course in 2018-19

Student Finance England (SFE) provides financial support that helps with the cost of going to university.

Am I eligible for statutory support from the government?

Your eligibility for statutory financial support will depend on you fulfilling certain criteria based on:

  • Your nationality or residency status
  • Your age at the start of the course
  • Any previous study at higher education level

For details visit

Back to top

How do I pay for my tuition fees?

Following the recent government announcement that there will be no changes to the tuition fee caps for 2018-19, the tuition fee for students who qualify for government-regulated fees (currently students classed as ‘Home’ or ‘Home/EU’ for fees purposes) for the 2018-19 academic year will remain at £9,250 (£6,750 for WBS foundation year and 2+2 course). The University may increase fees in line with any inflationary uplift as determined by the UK Government, if permitted by law or government policy, in subsequent years of your course. It is anticipated that such increases would be linked to RPI (the Retail Price Index excluding mortgage interest payments).

You can apply to SFE for a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees. It is non-means tested, which means the amount you can receive is not based on your household income. The Loan is paid directly to the University so, if you choose to take the Loan, you won’t have to set up any payments.

If you don’t want to take out the Loan, or only want to take some of it, you can pay your tuition fees directly to the university either in full, at the start of each year, or in instalments:

  • Term 1 – 50%
  • Term 2 – 25%
  • Term 3 – 25%

Back to top

How do I pay for my living costs?

You can apply for a Maintenance Loan towards your living costs such as accommodation, food and bills. This loan is means-tested so the amount you receive is partially based on your household income and whether you choose to live at home or in student accommodation. Your household income will be taken from the previous tax year and will include your income and that of the people you live with: your parents, your parent and their partner or your partner. You don't have to provide details of your earnings from part-time work but if you have income from another source, such as investments or income from property, you will need to declare it.

In certain circumstances, you might be considered to be an independent student, for example, if you are a care leaver or estranged from your family. Contact us for further advice.

The Maintenance Loan will be paid to you in termly instalments. The rent for University accommodation is due at the start of every term so you will need to make arrangements to pay this directly. You can find information about ways to pay at

Like the Tuition Fee Loan, you can choose how much Maintenance Loan you take up to the maximum available to you.

Back to top

How much Maintenance Loan might I receive?

The government has recently announced that for students starting in 2018-19 the maximum Maintenance Loan available to those living away from home will be £8,700 and for students living in their parental home will be £7,324. A full breakdown of the Maintenance Loan available will be announced in early 2018. Visit for up to date information.

Back to top

Can I get any extra money?

If you have special circumstances you may be eligible for some extra support from the government to help with living and learning costs. This will be in the form of a grant, so you won’t have to repay this money. You can apply for:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowances if you have a disability, specific learning difficulty, a long-term health condition or mental health condition
  • Parents’ Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant if you have care of a child
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant if you have an adult that relies on you financially.

Have a look on the website for more information.

Back to top

How do I apply for student loans and grants?

Your application for student loans is made online and usually, opens in February before you start your course.

If you want to apply for Disabled Students’ Allowances or the Childcare Grant, tick the box on the main application to receive further information.

You apply to Student Finance England at and if you have any questions call 0300 100 06 07.

To apply you will need:

  • Details of your course and university
  • Your passport or your original birth/adoption certificate
  • Your National Insurance number
  • Your household income information
Remember: You do not need to have a confirmed place to apply and we would recommend you apply as soon as you can.

Back to top

How do I repay the loans and what interest will I pay?

You will start to repay your loans from the April after you graduate or leave your course and only then if your income is above the repayment threshold of £25,000. You will then pay 9p for every pound you earn over that threshold. Your repayments are taken automatically through the tax system so you will not need to arrange not need to arrange repayment unless you become self-employed or work overseas.

Other key facts are:

  • If your income falls below the repayment threshold, your repayments will stop automatically
  • There is no charge for early repayment, either in part or full
  • Any loan remaining after 30 years will be cancelled.

Interest, which is the cost of borrowing the money, will be added to your loan as soon as the first payment is made to you and the University. It is linked to the Retail Price Index (RPI) and will vary depending on what stage you’re at and how much you earn once you finish or leave your course. You can get more information about the current interest rates at

Remember: The monthly repayments are based on earnings and not the amount borrowed

Back to top

Does the university have bursaries or scholarships?

Our Warwick Undergraduate Bursary programme offers non-repayable awards of up to £3,000 to support students with course-related costs. You can find the full eligibility criteria on our website

Check the ‘Other Funding Opportunities’ pages on our website for details of other awards offered by businesses, charities and alumni and friends of the University.

How much will it cost to live at Warwick?

The cost of living at Warwick will vary depending on your lifestyle choices. In a recent survey, our first-year students told us the biggest cost they have is accommodation which ranged from £80pw to £176pw for a room on campus in 2017. You can see the breakdown of the other costs in the chart below:


Remember: On top of your living costs, you should budget for course expenses such as stationery, books, materials and field trips. Visit for details

Back to top

How can I manage my money at university?

Budgeting as a student can be a challenge especially as you will need to make your Maintenance Loan payment last for a term. To make it easier, try to plan your budget in advance.

To get started with budgeting why not try the Warwick Student Budget Calculator online at or download the app for free. You may prefer to download our printable budget planner.

Remember: University is a great experience so it’s ok to budget for some social activities!

Money saving tips!

We asked our students to give us some tips to save money:

  • Always plan for the unexpected and have an emergency fund
  • Think about getting a part-time job to top up your income. Register with Unitemps and check out the Students' Union for job opportunities
  • Know where to go if you are worried about your money
  • Socialising can be expensive, take cash and not your debit card on nights out so you can keep track of your money
  • Don’t compare your finances to your friends and don’t be afraid to say no if you can’t afford something
  • Discuss your budget with your family to get a rough idea of how much you can spend before starting university.