Coronavirus (Covid-19): Latest updates and information
Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Grants for Dependants 2020/21

What are the Grants for Dependants?

All money provided as part of the Grants for Dependants are in the form of a grant. This means they are not repayable.

Parents’ Learning Allowance

Parents’ Learning Allowance of up to £1,766 is available to students who have at least one dependent child. Money provided through this will not be treated as income if you are assessed for income related benefits.

Childcare Grant

You may be eligible for help with your childcare costs if your child is under 15, or under 17 if they have special educational needs. Childcare Grant may be available to pay for up to 85% of the actual cost of registered or approved childcare. You will not be eligible for the Childcare Grant if you or your partner receive:

- the childcare element of Working Tax Credit
- the childcare element of Universal Credit
- tax-free childcare
- childcare through the NHS bursary scheme.

The maximum weekly amount that can be claimed is £174.22 per week for one dependent child or £298.69 per week for two or more dependent children or 85% of the costs, whichever is lower.

Adult Dependants’ Grant

An Adult Dependants’ Grant of up to £3,094 is available to students who are financially responsible for another adult. This adult dependant may be your spouse (or partner if you are aged 25 or over) or another adult dependant. The adult dependant cannot be your child. If your adult dependant is not your spouse/partner then their net income cannot exceed £3,796 in order to be eligible for this grant. This net income amount is based on the 2018/19 tax year. However, if your adult dependant’s income will be at least 15% less than it was in the 2018/19 tax year you can apply for a current year income assessment instead. Adult Dependants’ Grant will affect any income-related benefits and tax credits you might get.

How much will I be entitled to?

Your entitlement to each grant is worked out using your household income. A separate calculation is performed for each of the grants. The table below shows the maximum and minimum thresholds for each type of grant.


Parents’ Learning Allowance

Childcare Grant
(1 child)

Childcare Grant
(2 or more children)

Adult Dependants’

Maximum Award





If household income is below this you will qualify for the maximum award









If household income is above this you will not qualify for the grant









How will the grants be paid?

Parents Learning Allowance and Adult Dependants’ Grant

The Parents Learning Allowance and Adult Dependants’ Grant are paid in 3 termly instalments directly to you, the student.

Childcare Grant

If you are entitled to the Childcare Grant the amount you are eligible for will be paid into a Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS) account. This money will not be paid directly to you the student. Your childcare provider will then invoice the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS) at intervals. This could be on a weekly, monthly or termly basis, however, it will always be in arrears. You will need to arrange with your childcare provider as to how you will pay the remaining amount (at least 15%). Each time your childcare provider requests payment from the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS) you will need to log in to your CCGPS account to approve the payment. Following this, your childcare provider will be paid directly from the money in your account. Any money that remains at the end of the year will be returned to Student Finance. This will mean that there will no longer be any overpayments or underpayments for childcare, unless you withdraw or temporarily withdraw from your studies. You will be able to log in to your CCGPS account at any point to see what your remaining balance is.

How do I apply for the grants?

You will be able to apply for all 3 types of grants in your main Student Finance application. If you are applying for the Childcare Grant you will need to create an account with the Childcare Grant Payment Service (CCGPS). Student Finance will contact you regarding this.

Childcare Grant and Parents' Learning Allowance

If you have not previously provided evidence to support an application for Childcare Grant or Parents' Learning Allowance, you will need to supply this to Student Finance England. For example, you will need to provide a photocopy of your child’s/children’s birth certificates and evidence that you have care of the child, such as, photocopied evidence that you are receiving Child Benefit, Child Tax Credit or the child element of Universal Credit.

Adult Dependants' Grant

If you apply for Adult Dependant’s Grant it is likely that you will need to provide a copy of your marriage certificate (if you have not done so before and your adult dependant is your spouse). Otherwise you may need to provide evidence of your adult dependant’s taxable income for the 2018/19 tax year.