Applications for Warwick Undergraduate Sanctuary Scholarships for 2020-21 are now open
Please make your application using the online application form
The University of Warwick is located on the outskirts of the city of Coventry which is recognised as a 'City of Sanctuary'. The 'City of Sanctuary' movement is committed to building a culture of hospitality and welcome, especially for those seeking sanctuary from war and persecution. The University of Warwick is committed to creating a culture of welcome for people seeking sanctuary within, and beyond, our campus, and was successfully awarded University of Sanctuary status in 2017.
For the 2020-21 academic year, up to four undergraduate scholarships will be available to students who are seeking asylum in the UK and are not entitled to receive statutory student financial support from Student Finance England (Wales or Northern Ireland) or the Student Awards Agency for Scotland.
The successful applicants will receive:
- Full Tuition Fee Support - Students will be offered a non-repayable 100% tuition fee waiver until such time as you are awarded status that enables you to access student finance.
- Maintenance Support - Students will be awarded a non-repayable grant equivalent to the maximum government Maintenance Loan for the 2020-21 academic year (£9,203 a year if living away from the parental home or £7,747 for those living in the parental home) towards living costs and course-related expenses, until such time as you are awarded status that enables you to access student finance.
- Also you will be considered for additional funding equivalent to the Warwick Bursary.
Applicants who do not meet the full criteria will not be considered for an award.
You must ensure that you meet one of the Asylum eligibility criteria outlined below in order to apply and all three of the Education eligibility criteria. You must be able to provide documentary evidence to verify your circumstances in relation to each criteria.
Asylum eligibility criteria (you must meet ONE of these):
- You have sought asylum in the UK or were included as a dependant (spouse/child) on an application for asylum. Please note: Spouses/civil partners must have been the spouse/civil partner on the date on which the asylum application was made. Children/step-children must have been aged under 18 on the date on which the asylum application was made.
- You have received a decision on your claim for asylum, which has resulted in an award of DLR (Discretionary Leave to Remain), LLR (Limited Leave to Remain), Humanitarian Protection, or some other form of temporary status.
Education eligibility criteria (you must also meet ALL THREE of these):
- You have applied through UCAS for a full-time place on an undergraduate course at Warwick commencing in September 2020 and have firmly accepted a place on that course before applying for a scholarship. Please note that the 4-year graduate entry MBChB course and Year 1 Foundation courses in the Warwick Business School are not eligible for Warwick Undergraduate Sanctuary Scholarships.
- You are unable to access UK Government Student Financial Support (Tuition and Maintenance Loans) because of your current immigration status.
- You have not obtained an undergraduate degree or degree equivalent qualification from another institution or country.
Warwick Undergraduate Sanctuary Scholarships are payable in each academic year of your course until such time as you (or your parents or spouse/civil partner) are granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK, and you become able to access UK Government Student Financial Support (Tuition and Maintenance loans). Your award will then cease from the start of the next academic year.
Please ensure that you meet the eligibility criteria in full and read the guidance notes before completing the application form.
Application and Selection process
Applications are now open. You can make your application using the online application form.
The closing date for the receipt of completed applications will be Friday 26 June 2020. Receipt of your application will be acknowledged by email and the application will only be accepted if it is accompanied by a referee's supporting statement and signature. We may contact you and/or your referee to request further information or supporting documentation if required. You will be contacted in September 2020 to advise you of the outcome or progress of your application. Please note that there are limited numbers of Sanctuary Scholarships and not all applications will be successful.
Please read the guidance notes fully before completing the application on-line form and before contacting the University with any further questions about the application form, as you may find your answer in these notes. Guidance notes are to help you complete the application form for the UG Sanctuary Scholarship
If you have any queries about any aspect of the scheme, please email the Doctoral College, who manage these scholarships, at doctoralcollege at warwick dot ac dot uk.