This activity type in Moodle allows you to set up a prompt, such as video, reading, image, text, etc., to which students can submit questions or responses. Students can like each others' responses and the more likes a response gets, the higher up it is listed.
This allows teaching staff to see the 'hottest', most pressing questions in an instance while providing everyone an opportunity to express their ideas which is often not possible in large cohorts.
Add a Hot Question
- Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the section/topic where you would like to add the hot question.
- Select Hot question from the activity chooser.
- Give the activity a Name.
- Add the discussion stimulus, video, reading, image, text, etc. or combination thereof, in the Description.
- Adjust the settings specific to Hot Question under Entries:
- Teacher priority column visibility: This column is enabled by default. Teaching staff can rate responses by clicking on the thumbs-up icon and the column is visible to students. Hide this column if you only want students to vote on responses, without teaching staff setting priorities for responses separately.
- Heat column visibility: This column is enabled by default. Students can rate responses by clicking on the thumbs-up icon and the column is visible to teaching staff.
- Heat default limit: Specify the maximum number of votes that a response can receive. If you set this field to zero, students cannot vote on responses.
- Allow post question as anonymous: Decide whether or not you want students to have the option to post anonymously. If enabled, a student can choose to post their response anonymously or not. If they post anonymously, they can vote for their own response.
- Approval required: Decide whether or not you want students' responses to require approval from teaching staff before being visible to all students. If enabled, even the person who wrote a question cannot see it once they posted it and before it is approved. They will only see an entry that states 'This entry is not currently approved for viewing'.
- Click Save and display.
Tools are available to teaching staff to navigate and manage the Hot question activity. They can be found in the bottom right corner in the Hot question activity. The navigation tools are also available to students.
- Export to csv: Click on the download icon to download a file with all questions and responses of the Hot Question activity for further analysis in Excel.
- Previous round: Click this button to navigate to the previous round, available to both students and teachers. This button is only available () if the teacher has set up several rounds. If there is only one round, there is no previous round to navigate to ().
- Next round: Click on this button to navigate to the next round, available to both students and teachers. This button is only available () if the teacher has set up several rounds. If there is only one round, there is no next round to navigate to ().
- Open a new round: Click on the plus icon to open a new round. Only teaching staff have this ability. Once a new round is opened, teaching staff can still approve or disapprove student responses of previous round(s). Students can only post to the new round, not to previous round(s).
- Remove this round: Click on the times icon to delete the current round. Only teaching staff have this ability.
- Reload: Click on the refresh icon to update your page to display the latest postings. This button is especially useful when the Hot Question activity is a synchronous one.
Student responses to the prompts are displayed in a table underneath the response field. The table includes a Priority and a Heat column indicating votes that the response received. The table is only displayed after the first response has been made.
- Priority: The rating of student responses by teachers. Students can see this column but not vote.
- Heat: The rating of student responses by students. Once students made a vote by clicking on the thumbs up icon, they can remove it up to the point when the round or the entire activity is closed. The more votes (thumbs-ups) a response has, the higher up it is listed. A student cannot vote for their own response, unless the response was made anonymously. Teachers can see this column and vote.
- Remove: Click on the times icon to remove a student response. Please note that this cannot be undone. This column is not visible to students.
- Approved: If Approval required is enabled, all responses from students will require approval before they are displayed, indicated by a red dot in this column. Click on the red dot to approve a response. An approved response is indicated by a green dot. Approvals can be reversed by clicking on the green dot to turn it into a red dot again. This column is not visible to students.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)