This guide explains what the group choice activity is used for and how to create it.
Group choice allows students to select one or more groups they wish to be a member of in a space. Following their choice, they are automatically enrolled into the group(s) of their choice. These groups can then be used to give access to restricted or group specific activities.
Create a group choice activity
- Go to the Moodle space and click Turn editing on.
- Click Add an activity or resource in the relevant section.
- Select Group Choice from the list.
- Give the Group Choice activity a Name.
- Give the Group Choice activity a Description if relevant and choose whether to Display on the course page.
- Under Miscellaneous settings, check the Allow enrolment to multiple groups checkbox if you want students to select more that one group e.g. where students need to choose two out of three topics. Combine this with the Limit the number of responses allowed to enforce this choice limit.
- In the Publish results drop-down menu, select Do not publish results to students for 'anonymous' groups. For students to see who is in the groups after they choose, select Show results to students only after they answer. Alternatively, let students see who is already in each group by selecting Always show results to students.
Privacy of results
If an option other than 'Do not publish' is chosen above, this option allows the editor to choose to show students the number of people signed up to each group (if anonymous), or list all the groups plus the student names.
Other miscellaneous settings
- Allow choice to be updated is defaulted to No. Select Yes to allow students to change their minds and choose a different group.
- Show column for unanswered is defaulted to No. Select Yes to show a column of all students who have not yet answered in the Choose a group responses page (editors only).
- Limit the number of responses allowed is defaulted to Disabled. Enable this option to allow a specific number of responses so that students can, for example, sign up to exactly 2 out of 5 groups. Disable will allow students to choose all groups if Allow enrolment to multiple groups is checked.
- Under Groups, select one or more groups from the List of available groups.
- Click Add Group to add the selection to the Selected groups list.
- Select a group in this list and choose Remove Group, or
- Set a limit for the number of students who can join this group.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Save and display.
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)