You can use the 'Announcements Forum' for one-way communication with participants. Participants cannot leave replies to posts. For participants to do that, please refer to the Forums activity.
The 'Announcements Forum' is automatically created for each Moodle space and is located below the header in the centre. The location can however be altered as for any other activity. Only participants with editing rights may add posts or reply to posts. Posts in the Announcements Forum are also sent as a notification e-mail to all participants enrolled on a Moodle space. The forum has 'forced subscription' (everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe) set by default.
Announcements can be used in conjunction with Groups to enable more granular communications (see below).
Add an Announcements Forum
If required, additionally to the default one, further Announcements Forums can be added to a Moodle space:
- Click on the gear icon (cog icon) in the top right corner to open the action menu.
- In the action menu, click on 'Turn editing on'.
- Click on 'Edit' for the existing Announcements Forum.
- Select 'Duplicate' from the action menu.
- Hover over the four headed arrow to drag and drop the new Announcements Forum to the appropriate location.
- Make changes to the name and settings as required.
Add a post to an Announcements Forum
- Click on 'Announcements' in the Moodle space.
- Click on 'Add a new topic'.
- Type a 'Subject', and then add content to the 'Message' field. This can include text, images, video etc. using the tool-bar options.
- You can add 'Attachments' to the 'Announcement' by simply dragging and dropping a file into the 'Attachment' box.
Using announcements with Groups
In order for participants to receive announcements based on their group membership:
- Create the groups and add the relevant participants (see guide on how to create groups).
- Set your announcement forum to use groups (under Common Module Settings) - use 'Separate groups' to prevent groups seeing announcements sent to other groups.
- Create a new announcement and choose the relevant group from the drop down (NB a new Group section appears below Attachment - note the checkbox to 'Post a copy to all groups')
For more advanced guidance on the 'Announcements Forum' please see:
- Introduction to managing course participants
- Enrolment methods and managing access permissions
- Enrol participants using Warwick auto-enrolment
- Manually enrol participants onto a Moodle space
- Roles and their functions in Moodle
- Use groups and groupings
- Import and populate groups
- Enable activity completion
- Mark activity completion manually
- Track activity completion
- Course completion
- Course participation
- Introduction to assessment and feedback
- Create a fail / pass scale
- Create a custom certificate
- Create and manage badges
- Reports, logs and completion data in Moodle
- Create an assignment
- Create an assignment for group submission
- Set up Turnitin within an assignment
- Create and grade a submission using a rubric
- Use a marking workflow for assignments
- Blind marking
- Allocate markers to specific submissions
- Provide grades and feedback for individual assignments
- Check the status of submissions
- Hide or show grades and feedback
- Introduction to eStream
- Access your eStream content
- Uploading videos to eStream
- Edit videos in eStream
- Edit video thumbnail
- Uploading a closed captions (subtitles) file to eStream
- Add eStream videos to Mahara
- Sharing eStream videos to Moodle
- Sharing an eStream video with a link
- Setup a video assignment in Moodle
- Introduction to Echo360
- Getting started with Echo360 Lecture Capture
- Getting started with Universal Capture (Personal)