These are the standard requirements for all properties in Coventry, Leamington Spa & Kenilworth. Any additional and/or specific requirements relating to a property will be detailed on the offer letter.
You can download a printer friendly PDF version of our standard requirements.
Fire safety requirements
- Both the front door and rear exit doors will require Euro style thumb turn locks to be fitted to replace the original lock. This allows easy escape in the event of a fire without the use of a key. The same lock mechanism can be used so that only one key is required for both front and back doors. The University requires two sets of keys for its own use, a front door key for each tenant and a back door key that is to be left in the property.
- Mains interlinked smoke detectors fitted to hallway, landing and sitting room, and a heat detector in the kitchen, also mains interlinked.
- Basement areas will need a minimum of 30 minutes fire protection, including smoke detectors.
- Emergency lighting may be required in some properties and we suggest that you contact Coventry City Council or Warwick District Council to discuss this issue as it will depend upon the layout of the house and the amount of natural light on escape routes.
- A fire door will need to be fitted to the lounge/hallway door or kitchen/hallway door as applicable to protect the fire escape route. This must incorporate intumescent heat strips and cold smoke seals on the top and both sides of the door and be hung using three 3 x 10mm steel hinges. The full depth of the door must be enclosed in the frame and fitted with a self-closing device capable of closing and latching the door and holding it firmly against the rebates of the frame.
- All other doors in the house have to be of solid construction and be close fitting to the frame.
- The areas under the stairs will require a minimum of 30 minutes fire protection. If utility meters are not situated in the under stairs cupboards but within the hallway of a property, they may have to be boxed in to provide fire protection.
- For large properties that require licensing please refer to Coventry City Council or Warwick District Council website and liaise with Property Manager.
- Provision of an Energy Performance Certificate. There are new regulations regarding the energy performance of properties and the provision of an energy certificate for all rented properties. Further details of these regulations can be found at www.communities.gov.uk. If you do not already have such a certificate one will have to be obtained. Warwick Accommodation can help with this
- Provision of an Electrical Safety Certificate (PIR) which must be issued by an ECA or NICEIC contractor. The local authority may accept a certificate from another electrical contractor provided that it is from an approved or affiliated company but you would need to contact them to clarify this situation.
- All properties are required to have a gas maintenance contract in place. This must be with our preferred contractor who will arrange for an initial inspection to take place if the property comes with the University. They will provide a Landlord’s Gas Safety certificate and the maintenance cover will be for the duration of the contract. The cost of this will be deducted from November’s rent.
- All new owners placing their properties with Warwick Accommodation which were built before the year 2000 are required to have an Asbestos Management survey carried out on their behalf by the University’s approved accredited contractor.
- A battery carbon monoxide detector should be fitted in communal rooms where there is a gas fire and in bedrooms where there is a gas boiler fitted.
- Ensure there is a BT phone line into the property and a usable telephone socket in a communal area with a double electric socket close by, for the installation of internet equipment. The tenants will have the line connected when they move in, and choose their own internet supplier.
- All light bulbs where possible need to be replaced with energy efficiency bulbs. We will advise the tenants regarding replacing and disposal during their tenancy.
- All ground floor windows, and first floor if there is easy access, should have locks fitted and a key provided. A hook near the window which is not visible from the outside would be a suitable place to leave the key; a spare key for our master set will also be required.
- Please provide a door bell.
- Please provide a washing line in the rear garden.
- Please provide a notice board for the hallway.
- Please ensure there is at least a single plug socket to the hall and landing areas.
- Curtains are required in all rooms (except bathrooms and kitchens where we ask for blinds). To avoid light penetration it is preferred that curtains are lined. Study bedrooms and overlooked communal rooms will require net curtains to be fitted.
- Provide enough kitchen cupboards to give each student a minimum of a 500mm single cupboard each. Please note: the sink base unit is not accepted as suitable storage for this purpose.
- Provide suitable fridge/freezers (a minimum of one shelf per student) and gas/electric cookers for the number of students.
- Ensure there are at least 3 double electrical sockets above worktops.
- Supply a microwave, fire blanket (wall mounted 1.5m from cooker), kitchen bin and a chopping board.
- All appliances, if not supplied new, will have to be PAT tested.
- The following cleaning equipment will be required: suitable sized vacuum cleaner (for example a Henry not a compact cylinder), ironing board, mop & bucket, dustpan & brush and broom.
- Provide a TV aerial suitable for digital reception, if not already installed, and an aerial point in the lounge area.
- Provide sufficient seating for the number of students. Soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 and should be in a clean condition.
- It is recommended that any original fireplaces be boxed in to protect them; they will need to be decorated to match the walls.
- Provide a dining table and chairs sufficient for the number of students in the house. These can be provided in the kitchen/dining area, if applicable, or in a separate dining room.
- Ensure there is a minimum of two double plug sockets.
- All study bedrooms should be a minimum of 8.5m2 and furniture and furnishings should be co-ordinated throughout, and are in keeping with the University of Warwick’s requirements as detailed below.
- The following items are required as standard:
- Depending on size of room a double bed or 3/4 bed, in rooms with limited space a single bed, new good quality mattress, mattress protector and sound bed base
- Chest of drawers, wardrobe, large study desk (a minimum of 1.5m x 0.6m) and shelving/bookcase providing a minimum of 3.5m of total storage space
- Office chair, bin, mirror, notice board, curtains and lightshade
- All bedrooms should have a minimum of two double plug sockets
- Please provide privacy bolt on study bedroom doors
- Please ensure that there is an extractor fan fitted and that it comes on with the light and has an overrun of 15 minutes. A humidistat type of extractor fan is acceptable provided the setting is sufficient to remove condensation after showering.
- Showers must be thermostatically controlled.
- Please provide shower screen or nylon shower curtain.
- Supply a blind to the window(s).
- Light fittings must be enclosed in order to meet electrical regulations.
- Please supply a toilet roll holder, a towel rail, hooks (on the back of the door), bin, toilet brush and cabinet for storage of toiletries.
- Where carpets are fitted these must be replaced with vinyl or similar flooring.
- Gardens must be maintained throughout the growing season.
- Please provide drain covers to prevent blockage with garden debris.
- Please provide a washing line.
- Ensure rear garden is secure with fences intact and gates padlocked.
- Please ensure that sheds and garages are cleared and contain no flammable liquids.
- Please paint house number on wheelie bins.
- In areas where wheelie bins are not provided (i.e. Leamington Spa), please provide storage areas for refuse.