These are the standard requirements for all properties in Coventry, Leamington Spa & Kenilworth. Any additional and/or specific requirements relating to a property will be detailed on the offer letter.
You can download a printer friendly PDF version of our standard requirements.
Fire safety requirements
- Both the front door and all rear exit doors will require Euro style thumb turn locks to be fitted to replace the original lock. This allows easy escape in the event of a fire without the use of a key. The same lock mechanism can be used so that only one key is required for both front and back doors.
- Mains interlinked smoke detectors fitted to hallway, landing and sitting room, and a heat detector in the kitchen, also mains interlinked.
- Basement areas will need a minimum of 30 minutes fire protection, as well as a smoke detector. Note: It should be ensured that all detectors installed are fully working on change of occupancy and, other than for those tested under the requirements of BS5839-1, are within the maufacturers warranty from the date of manufacture.
- Emergency lighting may be required in some properties and we suggest that you contact the relevant council (Coventry City Council) or (Warwick District Council) to discuss this issue as it depends on the layout of the house and the amount of natural light on escape routes.
- A fire door will need to be fitted to the lounge/hallway door or kitchen/hallway door as applicable to protect the fire escape route. This must incorporate intumescent heat strips and cold smoke seals on the top and both sides of the door and be hung using three 3 x 10mm steel hinges. The full depth of the door must be enclosed in the frame and fitted with a self-closing device capable of closing and latching the door and holding it firmly against the rebates of the frame. Landlord to provide proof of fire door.
- All other doors in the house have to be of solid construction and be close fitting to the frame.
- The areas under the stairs will require a minimum of 30 minutes fire resistant protection with fire plasterboard. If utility meters are not situated in the under stairs cupboards but within the hallway of a property, then they are not to be boxed in.
- For large properties that require licensing please refer to Coventry City Council or Warwick District Council website and liaise with your Property Manager.
- Properties need to have a current Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) rated E or above, to be advertising for rent. We can arrange for one to be done.
- Provision of an Electrical Safety Certificate (PIR) which must be issued by an ECA or NICEIC contractor. The local authority may accept a certificate from another electrical contractor provided that it is from an approved or affiliated company but you would need to contact them to clarify this situation.
- All properties are required to have a gas maintenance contract in place. This must be with our preferred contractor who will arrange for an initial inspection to take place if the property comes with the University. They will provide a Landlord’s Gas Safety certificate and the maintenance cover will be for the duration of the contract. Any remedial works must be carried out and be rated satisfactory. The cost of this will be deducted from November’s rent.
- For new take ons we will require the property's boiler to be less than 10 years old. Boilers over 10 years old may not be eligable for a service maintenance contract and thusmay need to be replaced or need remedial qork. These costs will be incurred by the landlord. Our preferred contractors will provide an assessment.
- All new owners placing their properties with Warwick Accommodation which were built before the year 2000 are required to have an Asbestos Management survey carried out on their behalf by the University’s approved accredited contractor.
- A battery carbon monoxide detector should be fitted in communal rooms where there is a gas fire and in bedrooms where there is a gas boiler fitted.
- Ensure there is a BT phone line into the property and a usable telephone socket in a communal area with a double electric socket close by for the installation of internet equipment. The tenants will have the line connected when they move in, and choose their own internet supplier.
- All light bulbs where possible need to be replaced with energy efficiency bulbs. We will advise the tenants regarding replacing and disposal during their tenancy.
- All ground floor windows, and first floor if there is easy access, should have locks fitted and a key provided. A hook near the window which is not visible from the outside would be a suitable place to leave the key; a spare key for our master set will also be required.
- We require: 1x set of keys for each student (including front door, back door and if applicable bedroom door keys). i x set of keys for Warwick Accommodation Property Manager (including above and window keys). 1 x set of keys for contractor.
- Where applicable additional keys may be requested for utility. post, side or back garden access.
- Please provide a door bell.
- Please provide a washing line in the rear garden.
- Please provide a notice board for the hallway.
- Please ensure there is at least a single plug socket to the hall and landing areas.
- Curtains are required in all rooms (except bathrooms and kitchens where we ask for blinds). To avoid light penetration it is preferred that curtains are lined. Study bedrooms and overlooked communal rooms will require blinds to be fitted.
- Provide enough kitchen cupboards to give each student a minimum of a 500mm single cupboard each. Please note: the sink base unit is not accepted as suitable storage for this purpose.
- Provide suitable fridge/freezers (minimum one fridge shelf and one freezer shelf per student. Gas/electric cookers for the number of students
- Ensure there are at least 3 double electrical sockets above worktops.
- Supply a microwave, fire blanket (wall mounted at least 1.5m from from cooker between cooker and exit) with clear instructions, kitchen bin and a chopping board between two occupants.
- All appliances, if not supplied new, will have to be PAT tested. Please do not supply additional electrical equipment unless agreed.
- The following cleaning equipment will be required: suitable sized vacuum cleaner (for example a Henry not a compact cylinder), ironing board, mop & bucket, dustpan & brush and broom.
- Provide a TV aerial suitable for digital reception, if not already installed, and an aerial point in the lounge area.
- Provide sufficient seating for the number of students. Soft furnishings must comply with the Furniture and Furnishings (Fire Safety) Regulations 1988 and should be in a clean condition.
- It is recommended that any original fireplaces be boxed in to protect them; they will need to be decorated to match the walls.
- Provide a dining table and chairs sufficient for the number of students in the house. These can be provided in the kitchen/dining area, if applicable, or in a separate dining room.
- Ensure there is a minimum of two double plug sockets.
- All study bedrooms should be a minimum of 8.5m2 and furniture and furnishings should be co-ordinated throughout, and are in keeping with the University of Warwick’s requirements as detailed below.
- The following items are required as standard:
- Depending on room size, a double bed or 3/4 bed, (or a single bed in rooms with limited space).
- Good quality mattress with no stains (no memory foams).
- Mattress protector.
- Sound bed base.
- Chest of drawers.
- Large study desk (a minimum of 1.5m x 0.6m).
- Shelving/bookcase providing a minimum of 3.5m of total storage space.
- Office Chair
- Large notice board
- All bedrooms should have a minimum of two double plug sockets.
- Please provide privacy bolt on study bedroom doors. New take-ons which have 5 bedrooms or more will need locks on bedroom doors - ideally a roller bolt night latch or suited.
- Please ensure that there is an extractor fan fitted and that it comes on with the light and has an overrun of 15 minutes. A humidistat type of extractor fan is acceptable provided the setting is sufficient to remove condensation after showering.
- Showers must be thermostatically controlled.
- Please provide shower screen or nylon shower curtain.
- Supply a blind to the window(s).
- Light fittings must be enclosed.
- Where carpets are fitted these must be replaced with vinyl or similar flooring.
- Please supply:
- Toilet roll holder.
- Towel rail.
- Hooks (on the back of the door).
- Toilet brush (to be replaced yearly)
- Cabinet and shelving for the storage of toiletries
- Gardens must be maintained throughout the growing season.
- Please provide drain covers to prevent blockage with garden debris.
- Please provide a washing line.
- Ensure rear garden is secure with fences intact and gates padlocked. Padlock keys to be left in the house and given to Property Manager is student requires access.
- Please ensure that sheds and garages are cleared and contain no flammable liquids.
- Please paint house number on wheelie bin(s).
- IWhere appropriate wheelie bins to be provided for the number of occupats in property.