Travelling at Christmas
We wish you safe travels and hope you enjoy the vacation period, and we look forward to seeing you again in the New Year.
On this page:
- How to get tested before you travel
- Packing your belongings
- How to book your departure slot
As you may know, you are strongly encouraged to undertake testing before travelling home from university. This is official Gov.uk guidance and will mean that you and your families can stay safe over Christmas.
- If you have been tested and had two negative results, you can then safely travel in the ‘student travel window’ between 3-9 December.
- If you have Covid-19 symptoms, have tested positive, or have been told to self isolate by NHS Test and Trace, then you will need to self-isolate for 10 days and then travel afterwards.
Tuesday 24 November
Bookings for Lateral Flow Tests open for students and staff
Monday 30 November – Sunday 6 December
Lateral Flow Testing available at The Slate for students and staff
Wednesday 2 December
New local tiers in place
Thursday 3 – Wednesday 9 December
Student Travel Window
Monday 7 – Tuesday 15 December
Limited schedule of testing to cover students and staff who have face to face teaching in week 10.
Saturday 12 December
End of term
Wear your face covering, wash, sanitise your hands and remain socially distant following your test and when walking around your household and accommodation
Pack your belongings
Take the belongings you need over the Christmas vacation. Make sure you collect any post or parcels before you leave. Take your electronic fob with you so you are able return without needing to visit Student Services Reception.
Please dispose of all perishable food items in your room or kitchen before you depart. We will dispose of anything left which is out of date or perishing. Please make sure that you dispose of all waste in the waste areas for your accommodation before departing.
Please note, unfortunately due to the current Covid-19 situation, visitors, parents, carers and guardians will not be allowed in the halls to assist with departures.
No. Visitors, parents, carers and guardians are not allowed inside halls to assist with departures. You can meet them outside your accommodation block.
If you need assistance, please contact eofacilitiesprojects at warwick dot ac dot uk
Avanti West Coast Rail guidance
Coventry Station have informed us that, due to the limited number of seats available during the travel window (3-9 December), any students looking to travel further than Birmingham New Street (north or south) MUST have a reservation before leaving the station.
Travel to Birmingham will be unaffected but otherwise reservations are mandatory.
Chiltern Railways guidance
- Check your journey before your travel and avoid peak times if possible.
- Buy your tickets online using our website or app and choose a mobile or smart ticket where possible.
- If you can't buy your ticket online, use contactless payment methods where possible.
Wear a face covering:
- Face coverings are mandatory on public transport. Please where a face covering at our stations and on board trains unless you are exempt.
- Failure to wear a face covering may lead to a fine from the British Transport of us to £6,400.
Keep your distance:
- Keep your distance from passengers and staff at stations and on-board trains.
- Take notice and follow one way systems and social distancing instructions at stations.
- If you can, leave a row of seats clear and avoid facing other passengers when travelling.
Wash your hands:
- Wash your hands before and after travelling and maintain a good level of hygiene.
- Carry hand sanitiser on your journey
Changing journey fees waived
No, you only need to book a departure slot if you are leaving campus by car.
We expect a number of students to remain in campus and in local accommodation over the Christmas vacation and will make sure you still have support.
We contacted you to confirm if you were staying on campus over the vacation period.
We will not be managing the departure of students living off campus but you should still leave within the Student Travel Window (3-9 December) if possible.
Remember you need to behave responsibly when leaving either by private or public transport. Always follow the guidance around face coverings, social distancing and regular good hand hygiene.
You only need to book a departure slot if you are leaving campus by car. If you are leaving by public transport you do not need to book a departure slot.