Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Your responsibilities

Tenancy Agreement

Transfer Fees

Changes in the terms of your Tenancy

Retention of Accommodation for a Further Year

Noise, Nuisance and Neighbour Disputes

Internal House Disputes



Tenancy Agreement

Once you have indicated that you wish to take up a tenancy you will be asked to accept an online agreement with the University. It is important that you read through the lease agreement carefully so that you are aware of the legal rights and obligations of you, the tenant, and the University. In signing an agreement with the University you have committed yourself to paying an agreed rent over a fixed period, at the end of which you are expected to leave. It is important that you understand that once you have signed an agreement, you will remain liable for the rent for the entire period of the tenancy regardless of any changes to your student status.

The start date of your tenancy is stated on your contract and is subject to the availability of the property. Tenancies are continuous and rent is payable from the commencement of the lease and includes the Christmas and Easter vacations whether or not the students are actually in residence.

Where you have a single tenancy agreement for all members of the household, this means that you are jointly and severally liable to meet the contractual obligations contained in the agreement.

If you withdraw from your course you MUST inform Warwick Accommodation immediately by emailing as well as informing your academic department. The University is unable to release tenants within the contract period unless you find a suitable replacement full-time student, who is not already in a contract with Warwick Acccommodation, who agrees to replace you in the contract. If you are in a joint and several tenancy with other students named on the contract, then the replacement student must also be acceptable to the other members of the group. We can help you to find a suitable replacement by advertising your room on the Warwick Accommodation website.

In the event that tenant/s in the same property wish to move out because of inter-tenant friction, the University will try to relocate the tenant/s concerned within our own off campus portfolio and will not release tenants to go to accommodation available through the private sector. However, this does depend on suitable availability.

Back to top

Transfer Fees

For a transfer to a different University managed off campus Warwick Accommodation property you will need to complete an online transfer request form, available online from Monday of week 3, term 1. No transfers (apart from on medical, welfare or disability grounds) will take place before this day. A transfer can only be to another Warwick Accommodation vacancy and you will not be able to transfer to a Student vacancy. You will be held in a waiting list and contacted if we are able to offer you a transfer. If you do transfer you will be charged a £35 transfer fee which will be added to your student account.

If you would like to swap rooms with another student within your current property, you both need to email us to confirm you wish to do so. Please include the date of the swap, your names and seven digit Warwick ID numbers in your email. If your direct room swap is approved and processed you will both be charged a transfer fee of £35 which will be added to both of your student accounts.

Reasons for which Warwick Accommodation may wish to end your tenancy:

  • Your tenancy is a fixed term tenancy that under normal circumstances can only be brought to an end at the end of the contractual period.
  • Warwick Accommodation can serve notice on a tenant to terminate the tenancy during the term of the contract if you have not fulfilled your obligations under the tenancy agreement, (please refer to the tenancy agreement for details).
  • Before a notice is served on you, you will be informed by Warwick Accommodation why we wish to end your tenancy and you will be given the opportunity to remedy the situation. Warwick Accommodation has the right to recover possession if the tenant does not comply with any of the conditions in the agreement or any other grounds as specified in Schedule 2 Housing Act 1988 after first serving notice of the Landlord’s intention to apply to the County Court for a Possession Order.

Back to top

Changes in the terms of your tenancy

The terms of the tenancy during the contractual period can only be changed with your agreement. It is unlikely that Warwick Accommodation will seek to vary the terms of the tenancy. However, should the situation arise that a tenant wishes to remain in the property and contracts to live in the premises for another year, then, as stated, a new tenancy agreement will need to be signed and this may be subject to changes in conditions.

Back to top

Retention of Accommodation for a Further Year

Provided your tenancy has proved satisfactory and the University has been successful in extending its contract with the owner, it may be possible to extend the tenancy over some of the summer vacation, and/or to retain the property for a further year. The renewal of lease agreements is normally arranged with the agreement of Warwick Accommodation during the Autumn term. Please contact Warwick Accommodation or email your Property Manager for further information.

Back to top

Noise, Nuisance and Neighbour Disputes

One of the advantages of living independently off campus is that you can entertain your friends and throw the occasional party. However noise can be a cause of major upset between students and neighbours and if someone complains about your behaviour to the Housing and Environmental Services Directorate, you could be charged with a criminal offence and the Courts, on conviction, can impose a fine of up to £5000.00

When you are living as part of a community, you should be aware that your neighbours may be elderly and be frightened and disturbed by loud music, noise and general comings and goings, they may be shift workers having to get up early in the morning or they might have young children.

Please remember that a noisy and disruptive party could result in you being prosecuted by the Environmental Health Department, you could also receive an unwelcome visit from the Police.

A few simple rules should be followed:

  • Keep the volume of your music down, particularly after 23:00. Tell your neighbours that you don’t mind turning the volume down if they ask. If possible use headphones
  • Arrange any party for a Friday or Saturday evening, when neighbours are less likely to have to get up early
  • Don't invite more guests than you can cope with, issue invitations only and don't make it an ‘Open House’
  • Do not encourage guests to go into the garden and do not allow them to stand around in the street
  • Should your party get out of hand, do not be afraid to call the police yourself and remember that any damage resulting from a party will have to be paid for by your group
  • It is surprising how annoying an animated discussion can be when you hear it through a brick wall at midnight. Normal conversation is usually OK but be considerate. Don’t shout up the stairs when neighbours may be resting
  • Avoid slamming car doors, especially if your door sticks
  • Walk up and down the stairs, even if you’re in a rush

Further information is available from Coventry City Council or Warwick District Council.

Back to top

Internal House Disputes

It is unlikely that there will be any major disputes between your group during the term of your tenancy, as you are likely to be moving into the property as a group of people that have a lot in common. You may find however, that sharing a house and the responsibilities of running a household may cause some problems in the payment of bills, contribution towards household chores etc. If you find that you cannot resolve a problem amongst yourselves you should seek help from the Student Advice Centre in the Students Union, or Wellbeing Support Services, in helping to find a solution.

Back to top

Repairs and Maintenance

If you need to report any repairs please do so by completing the online repair request form. Completed forms will be sent directly to your Property Manager once submitted. This method should not be used for emergency repairs. If you need to speak to someone urgently about a repair you can phone Student Services on 024 7652 2280.

In reporting a problem that needs repair, students give consent to a contractor/landlord/University representative to enter the property to carry out the necessary work (they will be provided with a key by the University). Repair works often involve disruption to a house and tenants are expected to make every endeavour to assist those undertaking work, including undertaking light cleaning after work has taken place.

The off campus accommodation team office hours are: Monday - Thursday 8:30 - 16:30 and Friday 8:30 - 15:30.

Student Services opening hours can be found on the Student Services website.

You are responsible for:

  • Replacing light bulbs (except for fluorescent tubes or sealed lights)
  • Unblocking sinks, drains (food debris)
  • Replacing broken windows when you have caused the damage (you should contact your property manager for advice before making any arrangements)
  • Replacing vacuum cleaner bags and belts where fitted
  • If you have outside drains with an exposed drain cover (which can get blocked with leaves), it is your responsibility to make sure the grill is cleaned regularly so that waste water does not overflow into the yard/garden

Should an emergency call out prove to be as a result of negligence; or whereby the students are in breach of their contract; or whereby upon the insistence of the occupants a contractor visits the property and whereby upon investigation it is found to be a non-emergency, the residents will be charged for the contractor’s attendance.

Reactive Maintenance is defined as any maintenance or building fault identified which can be completed within 30 days by a maintenance operative or specialist contractor.

Response times will be as follows: -

  • Priority 1 – Emergency Response within 6 hours
  • Priority 2 – Urgent Response within 72 hours. Resolved within 10 working days.
  • Priority 3 – Non-urgent Response within 72 hours. Resolved within 30 working days.
  • Priority 4 – Planned Maintenance Timescale agreed between University, Landlord and Student.

The allocation of the above response times to reported faults will be mindful of the impact certain faults have on the operation of student accommodation. Warwick Accommodation agrees to use these predetermined priorities which are currently used for responding to maintenance throughout the University. In the event of dispute over a particular allocation, the fault response will be escalated to Line Managers for determination and ultimately determined by the Head of Warwick Accommodation. The response times and work times indicated will be dependent upon the nature of the repair required, availability of parts and the time of day that a report is made.

Priority 1 – Emergency

Emergency works are those that are likely to endanger life or cause structural damage to the property. Such incidences would include, but are not limited to; gas leaks, chemical spillage, persons trapped in lift and full interruption of utilities to the whole building which includes gas, water and electric. Life threatening, structural damage to the building, roof issues making the property inhabitable, the inability to silence burglar alarm and the flooding of the building. Securing the property in the event of an emergency. Entrapment within the property and blocked WC where there is only one WC in the property.

Priority 2 – Urgent

Urgent works are those where a discernible impact or disruption is caused to the building or its residents. Such incidences would include, but are not limited to; minor leaks, blocked sink/basin/bath/shower tray, toilet flush issues and external burst water pipes. lift faults, smoke alarms beeping and minor security system faults. Non-essential power failures, faulty sockets, lights flickering and lighting issues where an alternative is available. Washing machine, oven/hob and fridge/freezer failures. Local heating problem (with temperature reading) & defective shower/WC when alternative bathing facilities are available. The control of Pest, vermin, termites whilst also dealing with any matters relating to cleaning.

Priority 3 – Non-urgent

Non-urgent works are those where a minor disruption is caused to the building or its residents. Such incidences would include, but are not limited to; non-essential plumbing, shower heads, dripping taps, noisy pipework/radiators or replacement radiators. Non-essential electrical faults including faulty shaver lights, extractor fans, dishwasher vacuum cleaner, microwaves or tumble dryer faults. Cosmetic works including painting, basin/bath/shower seals issues and non-urgent flooring repairs. Internal doors requiring adjustment, landscape maintenance and garden gates or fencing requiring repairs. Mattress inspections and repairs to furniture and kitchen units.

Priority 4 - Planned Maintenance

Planned maintenance works are those that cause no discernible impact on residents, but result in an improvement to the accommodation and are usually superficial in nature. The commencement of these works will be discussed and agreed between the Student, Landlord and University. Such incidences would include, but are not limited to; redecoration, refurbishments, garden works.

The University will identify and request that planned maintenance is carried out on properties in order to maintain high standards of accommodation. Planned maintenance will be agreed between the University and the Landlord.

We will endeavour to meet the above guidelines on repairs, however in the event of parts/quotes being required, or a new item needed, no guarantee can be given on the timescale.

Back to top


As a tenant you are required and are expected to treat the property accordingly.

A property must be cleaned regularly. This includes:

  • Vacuum Cleaner - you must empty or replace a full bag to prevent damage to the appliance
  • Cooker - you must clean the cooker regularly. A build-up of grease should be avoided as it presents a fire risk. Negligence in this area constitutes the biggest single cause for us billing ex-tenants
  • Fridge or fridge freezer - you must leave the fridge door open if you switch it off for any reason; otherwise the inside will rapidly go mouldy - be warned, when this happens it is difficult and unpleasant to clean off. You should defrost the freezer or ice compartment frequently to prevent damage to the compartment doors or baskets. Do not use sharp implements to chip-off ice as this may damage the interior compartments
  • Bathrooms - you must make sure that bathroom areas are kept clean. WC’s should be regularly cleaned using toilet cleaner. For other surfaces it is advisable to use a cleaning product that treats and removes lime scale deposits. Please note the showerhead will need de-scaling on a regular basis to prevent the build-up of lime scale, which can cause faults with the heating elements. Shower curtains should be washed to prevent growth of mould
  • Carpets, upholstery and curtains - you must remove any stains before the end of your tenancy, preferably when accidents happen
  • Paintwork - you must wipe all paintwork down, if not during your tenancy then certainly at the end of it
  • Drains and sinks – these often become blocked because grease, food scraps or other solid waste has been poured down them. Flushing washing soda down a drain with hot water will help to stop smells. If they become blocked, bale out any water, remove any debris from the plughole and pour a cupful of washing soda followed by boiling water down the drain. You may have to repeat this for severe blockages. If the treatment fails, please contact Warwick Accommodation

Back to top