Skip to main content


In this section:

Dealing with Complaints 

University Academic Complaints procedure

Complaints procedure which can be used vis-à-vis any aspect of the teaching and learning process and University provision to support teaching and learning. The procedure should be included in departmental handbooks. Students should be clear on the distinction between the Academic Complaints procedure and procedures for other problems or complaints, such as the Disciplinary Regulations, the Harassment Guidelines, the appeals mechanisms in the Degree, Diploma or Certificate Regulations and the Code of Practice for Dealing with Allegations of Scientific Misconduct.

More information about the Student Academic Complaints procedure is available from the Academic Office.

History and Comparative American Studies students are advised that complaints about host institutions can be approached through the local grievance procedures (the equivalent of Warwick’s Academic Complaints procedure) and that they can seek support from the departmental Year Abroad Tutor.

The MBChB Phase II handbook uses a flow chart (Annex E) to identify potential problems and the appropriate sources of support/procedures for each.

The MA/Diploma Social Work handbook identifies a ‘Problem Solving Procedure’, which can operate outside of or prior to engaging the formal Academic Complaints procedure. It includes students taking responsibility for raising issues of concern as early as possible; students approaching someone to discuss the experience; identifying people to approach to pursue the issue who can decide how to best handle the situation and whether the experience should be recorded. The handbook then outlines the University procedures for filing a formal complaint, as well as the General Social Care Council complaints if students remain dissatisfied after pursuing an appeal or complaint. A section is also included on using the SSLC and Student Evaluation of the course and sources of confidential support and advice.

The Department of Politics and International Studies has defined procedures for acting upon informal complaints. They are initially handled by the Director of International Students and the dedicated administrative member of staff. The DIS reports matters to the Director of Undergraduate Studies and the Departmental Teaching Quality Committee and informs the International Office.

Problems and Emergencies

Prior to undertaking a placement, students should be provided with a named departmental contact at the University of Warwick and names of contacts at the placement organisation. In addition to local emergency contacts, the students should be given contact numbers for support services at the University of Warwick, such as the Senior Tutor, the Students’ Union Advice Centre and Nightline. Departments should obtain details of next of kin or another person to be contacted in the event of an emergency prior to the student’s departure.