- Module code: IB95X
- Module name: Thinking about Leadership
- Department: Warwick Business School
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
1. To explore interest and curiosity on the nature of leadership; 2. To recognise the value of learning about both self and leadership; 3. To appraise the use of conceptual material in addressing live issues; 4. To understand the value of developing a leadership paradigm that enables the sharing and dissemination of knowledge, creativity and innovation; 5. To assess personal styles of leadership through an analysis of the congruency between values and actions; 6. To provide opportunities to examine the nature of ambiguity and uncertainty in organizations; 7. To consolidate thinking about how the programme will contribute to organisational and sector effectiveness; 8. To explore power, politics and influencing skills in organisations; 9. To develop an understanding of Emotional Intelligence and its contribution to leadership behaviour.
Principal learning outcomes
"Subject knowledge and understanding: Demonstrate an understanding of the nature of leadership; Appreciate the extent to which leadership is a “contested concept"" Apply an enhanced self-awareness to their own leadership context; Demonstrate an understanding of how Emotional Intelligence impacts on leadership practice. Cognitive Skills: Critically assess and evaluate leadership styles and methods of influencing others in day to day management; Explore, analyse, discuss and share their understanding of the role of emotion in management and leadership; Analyse and evaluate emotional intelligence in self and others and use this research in management decision-making. Key Skills: Use self-reflection in developing personal awareness; Map, extend and develop their personal networks; Enhance their leadership capacity through influencing skills."
Timetabled teaching activities
"Total contact hours: 35 hours; Lectures per week: 4 x 6 hrs; Seminars per week: 4 x 1.5 hrs; Tutorials per week: 4 x 1hr group tutorial 1 x 1hr individual tutorial; Module duration (weeks, if applicable) 4 days. "
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: IB95X-15)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Assessed Course Work||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (N1C0) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (NFU Mutual) (N1YJ) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (NFU Mutual) (N1YJ) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (N1PQ) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (Fire and Rescue Service) (N1Y1) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (Highways Agency) (N1Y6) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (Highways Agency) (N1Y6) - Year 3
- Postgraduate Award in Strategic Leadership (Signet) (N1Y7) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Certificate in Strategic Leadership (Fire and Rescue Service) (N1Z9) - Year 2