- Module code: CS313
- Module name: Mobile Robotics
- Department: Computer Science
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
The main aim of the module is to provide an understanding of the fundamental principles of mobile robotics and related concepts. The module introduces various mechanisms of mobility for different kinds of mobile robots, algorithms and data structures for safe navigation of the robot, and some techniques for equipping the robot with an intelligent vision system. The students will also learn the basics of kinematic analysis of the arm/leg of a robot.
Principal learning outcomes
The module is primarily addressed at Computer Scientists and Computer Systems Engineers, but it is also taken by Electrical Engineers, Physicists and Mathematicians, so the learning outcomes may vary. After successful completion of this module, students should be able to demonstrate an understanding of the underlying principles of mobile robotics, a knowledge of its applications, and apply these to analyse and solve related real-world problems.
Timetabled teaching activities
Term 2. 22 Lectures and 8 Seminars.
Other essential notes
Prerequisites: A fair grasp of knowledge about the following mathermatical tools is required: trigonometry, matrix algebra, vector spaces, and differential equations. The module may also contain some related topics of control theory, essentially requiring preliminary knowledge of the Laplace transform.Ideally the student would find it useful to have completed CS130 Mathematics for Computer Scientists I, CS131 Mathematics for Computer Scientists II, ES107 Mathematics for Engineers, or a similar Mathematics module.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: CS313-15)|
|D (Assessed/examined work)||Assessed Course Work||20%|
|Examination - Main Summer Exam Period (weeks 4-9)||80%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Data Science (G302) - Year 3
- BSc Computing Systems (G400) - Year 3
- BSc Computing Systems (Intercalated Year) (G401) - Year 4
- MEng Computing Systems (G402) - Year 3
- MEng Computing Systems (Intercalated Year) (G403) - Year 4
- Undergraduate Discrete Mathematics (G4G1) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Discrete Mathematics (G4G3) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Computer Science (G500) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Computer Science (with Intercalated Year) (G502) - Year 4
- Undergraduate Computer Science MEng (G503) - Year 3
- MEng Computer Science (with intercalated year) (G504) - Year 4
- Undergraduate Computer and Business Studies (GN51) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Computer and Business Studies (with Intercalated Year) (GN5A) - Year 4