- Module code: PO102
- Module name: Political Research in the 21st Century
- Department: Politics and International Studies
- Credit: 30
Module content and teaching
The principal aims of PO102, therefore, are to: Offer an introduction to the nature of research in 21st century politics and international relations; Introduce the principal qualitative research methods and techniques used in Political Science and their advantages and limitations; Offer an introduction to the use of quantitative methods in political research and their role as a complement to qualitative methods; Identify some of the main ethical problems that arise in politics and international relations research; Promote confidence and enhance written and verbal communication skills and abilities as a critical thinker; Focus on a range of 'academic skills that both promote success in PAIS and enhance personal development.
Principal learning outcomes
Having completed PO102 successfully, students should be able to: Appreciate the strengths and weaknesses of the principal research methods, approaches and techniques, qualitative and quantitative, used in the study of Politics and International Relations; Understand the process of research design and the major stages that are involved in designing a research proposal; Understand the ethical dilemmas that arise in the research process and strategies available for resolving them; Utilise skillls as an 'independent learner' and 'researcher' and be confident and equipped in university study skills, including the critical anlaysis of a wide range of sources for research and study purposes; Understand the nature of transferable skills and appreciate how academic skills translate into the 'transferable' and 'soft' skills required in employment and life beyond university.
Timetabled teaching activities
Autumn term. The module is taught through one weekly lecture and one weekly seminar.
Other essential notes
It is a core module for all first-year students taking Politics, and Politics with International Studies.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|30 CATS (Module code: PO102-30)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Assessed Course Work||33.4%|
|Assessed Course Work||33.4%|
|Assessed Course Work||33.4%|
|Assessed Course Work||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Politics (M100) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Politics with International Studies (M160) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Politics and International Studies (M16A) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (L301) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (L302) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (L303) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (L304) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (L305) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (with Intercalated Year) (L307) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (with Intercalated Year) (L308) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (with Intercalated Year) (L309) - Year 1
- BA in Sociology (with Intercalated Year) (L310) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Politics with French (M1RC) - Year 1