- Module code: EQ901
- Module name: Innovation in Education (KLC II)
- Department: Centre for Education Studies
- Credit: 60
Module content and teaching
The course aims to enable students to: 1) Deploy their experience as professional practitioners in all contributions to coursework and assignments; 2) Undertake classroom / action research; 3) Share developing knowledge, understanding and skills with school colleagues and members of learning communities with which they are involved; 4) To gain national and international perspectives and understanding of key issues affecting school performance and professional practice; 5) Develop teachers’ critical and analytical skills by requiring them to write two assignments which examine the characteristics of successful innovative practice in subject or thematic pedagogy and/or leadership and management..
Principal learning outcomes
1) Understand and critique current areas of policy development in education 2) preciate how these policy developments relate to their work. 3) Analyse models and approaches to leadership and their relevance to school contexts. 4) Understanding of the link between successful leadership and school improvement. 5) Analyse how their own practices, leadership and classroom, relate to the above outcomes. 6) Understand and develop the requirements of an enquiry based approach to change. 7) Analyse, from personal experience and from inputs, the nature of innovation. 8) Relate the development of innovative practices to their own work. 9) Plan future developments from this work. 10) Question the link between innovation and school improvement. 11) Observe, question, undertake appropriate research and record responses and findings. 12) Compare and contrast practical experience with theory. 13) Identify an area of especially innovative development and devise and critically evaluate a programme for supporting that development in schools. 14) Develop methods for facilitating the learning of others and be able to incorporate these into their own supportive roles and to evaluate these contributions.
Timetabled teaching activities
Approx. 40 hours intensive face-to-face seminars/tutorials plus online support (website, VLE, email, forum/blog). Course content will be delivered using a variety of methods including: lectures, presentations by staff and guest speakers (leading academics and practitioners, for example), seminars, tutorials and online support and activities (Moodle, email, forum/blog). There will be opportunities for peer-presentations and peer-led learning activities.
Other essential notes
This module is only available to those registered on the PG Certificate in Innovation in Education (KLC II). This is a closed course and is taught by Warwick staff in Singapore.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|60 CATS (Module code: EQ901-60)|
|A (Assessed work only)||1st 5000 word assignment||50%|
|2nd 5000 word assignment||50%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Certificate in Innovation in Education (KLC II) (X145) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Educational Leadership and Management (X3M6) - Year 1