- Module code: MA915
- Module name: Advanced Topics in Numerical Analysis & PDEs
- Department: Mathematics Institute
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
Module Aims: a) Numerically solve partial differential equations based on variational formulations with confidence; b) Understand the main ideas and techniques in the numerical analysis of finite element methods; c) Develop practical skills in implementing and testing finite element methods.
Principal learning outcomes
Develop numerical schemes to solve simple nonlinear PDEs; Understand how to apply theoretical tools in various applied settings; Have a deep understanding of some of the main ideas and techniques in the theoretical analysis associated with computational PDEs.
Timetabled teaching activities
Lectures per week: 2 hours; Classwork/Lab sessions: 1 hour; Module duration: 10 weeks; Total contact hours: 30; Private study and group working: 90.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: MA915-15)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Oral examination (20 minutes)||50%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Mathematics (G1P0) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Mathematics (Diploma plus MSc) (G1PC) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Interdisciplinary Mathematics (Diploma plus MSc) (G1PD) - Year 2