- Module code: TH974
- Module name: Managing Cultural Organisations
- Department: School of Theatre & Performance Studies and Cultural & Media Policy Studies
- Credit: 20
Module content and teaching
This module is designed for students who are interested in pursuing positions as senior managers of cultural organisations. Throughout the module you will deepen your understanding of strategic planning and management and develop your professional skills with practical reference to cultural organisations. This will include an in depth consideration of management theory and practice including the vision, organisational structure, day-to -day operation, financial management, and governance of cultural organisations. Your learning will lead to the production of a realistic business plan for a new or existing organisation or cultural project.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module students will understand management structures and roles prevalent in cultural organisations and the role of governance. The will recognize the purpose and audience of a business plan, the principles of how to resource a business plan and compile a budget and evaluate the relative importance of the various sources of income for cultural organisations. They will be skilling in presenting material in written reports using appropriate professional language, working collaboratively with others in presentations and producing a business plan of their own.
Timetabled teaching activities
Lectures, Seminars and tutorials.
Other essential notes
Centre for Cultural Policy Studies module
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|20 CATS (Module code: TH974-20)|
|A1 (Assessed work only)||2500 word assignment||70%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Creative and Media Enterprises (W4P4) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Global Media and Communication (W4PG) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught International Cultural Policy and Management (W4PM) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Arts, Enterprise and Development (W4PQ) - Year 2