- Module code: BS978
- Module name: Innovations to Prevent and Treat Infectious Disease
- Department: School of Life Sciences
- Credit: 10
Module content and teaching
The primary aim of this module is to provide a knowledge base relevant to the development and exploitation of new bio-products by the pharmaceutical industry. It will seek to ensure integration of the information presented with the core ethos of the programme by addressing issues concerned with the conversion of an idea in bio-science into commercial reality.
Principal learning outcomes
• To achieve an understanding of the fundamental biology behind host defences against infection; factors which weaken these defences; and how pathogenic microbes cause disease. • To understand the mechanisms of action of key antimicrobial drugs and vaccines. • To be aware of a variety of synthetic and natural products currently being researched / developed for use in infection prevention and treatment, and the scientific, financial and ethical considerations involved in product R&D. • To understand the limitations of traditional antibiotic susceptibility testing in diagnostic and R&D pipelines, and current approaches to improving susceptibility testing. • To reflect on the methods and styles of communication required to successfully interact with different stakeholders in pharmaceutical development (scientists, policymakers and patients).
Timetabled teaching activities
6 x 2h lectures 1 x 2h guest seminar Journal club (group presentation / discussion) – 3 x 2h Assessed coursework – 2 pieces, with 2 x 2h contact time for initial preparation and 2 half-days timetabled for independent preparation.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|10 CATS (Module code: BS978-10)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Information Sheet (one page)||40%|
|Research Poster & Reflective Paragraph on Poster||60%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Medical Biotechnology and Business Management (J7N2) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Biotechnology, Bioprocessing and Business Management (C5N2) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Scientific Research and Communication (F1PE) - Year 1