- Module code: CH913
- Module name: Team Research Project: Real World Analysis
- Department: Chemistry
- Credit: 12
Module content and teaching
The aim of this module is to make students aware of how the material from the preceding modules needs to be integrated in order to be applied to real analytical problems. Essential parts of the module are problem analysis, literature research, implementation of experimental work, preparation of progress presentations and reports. These tasks are tackled in small teams (ca. 5 persons), thus team-work capabilities are also trained. Furthermore, several lectures are delivered by speakers from industry.
Principal learning outcomes
Subject knowledge and understanding - An appreciation of the importance of analytical measurements, and of current analytical methodology; the need for integration of several sophisticated analytical methods; the importance of formulating the problem to be tackled; practical details of sample preparation; processing of complex data including the appropriate treatment of errors in analysis, Key Skills - Written and oral communication; Teamworking; Interpretative skills; Ability to extract relevant information from various sources (books, journals, web resources), Reading and interpretation - Implementing advanced methodology; Time management; Troubleshooting, Cognitive Skills; Critical analysis; making decisions based on; interpretation of literature information; Formulate and solve complex problems, Subject-Specific/Professional Skills - Research methodology: implementation of literature methods; Laboratory skills in instrumental analytical Chemistry; Safety in chemical laboratories; Data acquisition, handling and evaluation of data, scientific writing.
Timetabled teaching activities
60 contact hours (inlcuding lectures, seminars and laboratory sessions).
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|12 CATS (Module code: CH913-12)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Written assessment||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Molecular Analytical Science (F1PL) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 3
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical and Polymer Science (F1PX) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science and Instrumentation (F1PY) - Year 1