- Module code: CH915
- Module name: Techniques in Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis
- Department: Chemistry
- Credit: 10
Module content and teaching
"This laboratory-intensive module focuses on fundamental and advanced theoretical and practical aspects of classical analytical and spectroscopic techniques, including data interpretation, instrumental design, and modern applications. Many of the techniques covered in lectures are reinforced in the laboratory, where students are trained in good laboratory practice and assessment of experimental error. Over the course of this module, students will complete laboratory experiments which cover key concepts, and which emphasise data evaluation and analysis to determine sample composition."
Principal learning outcomes
Show an advanced understanding of the: fundamental principles behind classical analytical and spectroscopic methods; functions of various components in complex spectroscopic instrumentation; Discriminate between various analytical techniques, understanding the advantages, disadvantages and current applications of each; Demonstrate the ability to evaluate and interpret data from a variety of measurements; Display practical consideration for sources and treatment of experimental error.Communicate verbally and in writing; Demonstrate numeracy; Independently use information technology: data-fitting software and spreadsheets; Locate and evaluate relevant information from outside sources; Manage time effectively; Critically analyse data; Comprehensively assess errors in data; Test hypotheses using experimental data Interpret results using information from literature; Follow good and safe practice in the laboratory; Demonstrate sound laboratory and measurement skills; Produce clearly written and original scientific reports; Research and reference relevant literature.
Timetabled teaching activities
40 contact hours (inlcuding lectures, seminars and laboratory sessions).
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|10 CATS (Module code: CH915-10)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Written Laboratory Reports||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Molecular Analytical Science (F1PL) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical and Polymer Science (F1PX) - Year 1
- MSc in Chemistry with Scientific Writing (F1PB) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Scientific Research and Communication (F1PE) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 3
- Postgraduate Taught Polymer Chemistry (F1PK) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Polymer Science (F1PW) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science and Instrumentation (F1PY) - Year 1