- Module code: CH962
- Module name: Research Project (Chemistry)
- Department: Chemistry
- Credit: 72
Module content and teaching
The module is designed to develop student research skills, through an extended project in an area of analytical chemistry, interpreted in a broad sense. Students will become aware of the elements of research, including appraising the literature, designing novel experiments (practical and/or computational), assessing results and drawing conclusions that they will be able to set against the current field. This module will allow students to be original in their application of knowledge to the solution of new, research-led problems.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to: complete individual COSHH assessments for a diverse range of Understand and be aware of current research and problems relating to the area of the research project; To be able to critically evaluate the literature and identify the most important body of work experiments; Plan experiments and carry out appropriate analyses. Present to peers a critical evaluation of their research work and to be able to defend their work to an audience of peers; Write a high quality report at research level including an appraisal of the literature, experimental methods, results and discussion, conclusions.
Timetabled teaching activities
16 weeks at a notional average of 37.5 hours per week (600 hours total) under the direction of a research supervisor. 120 hours of report preparation.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|72 CATS (Module code: CH962-72)|
|A2 (Assessed work only)||Project report (10,000 words)||70%|
|Assessment of execution||10%|
|Presentation and poster||20%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Polymer Chemistry (F1PK) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Molecular Analytical Science (F1PL) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Polymer Science (F1PW) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical and Polymer Science (F1PX) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science: Methods and Instrumental Techniques (F1PG) - Year 3
- Postgraduate Taught Analytical Science and Instrumentation (F1PY) - Year 1