- Module code: IB91U
- Module name: Governance & Corporate Responsibility
- Department: Warwick Business School
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
The aims of the module are to enable students to understand the wider institutional location of business activity within the polity and the society. The module puts particular emphasis on corporations’ responsibilities in global society and discusses key governance issues related to this agenda. Firms will be seen as both 'takers' and 'givers' of governance and regulation in a variety of formal and informal ways. The module is not a traditional course in business ethics, but explores the influence of the non-market environment on businesses’ strategies and operational practices. The module is not a course in business ethics, though it will confront some 'critical issues' topics.
Principal learning outcomes
Subject knowledge and understanding: Locate business activity within its social and political contexts, understand the responsibilities of companies in the local and global context, understand the significance of the non-market environment for business decisions . Key skills: Ability to learn and to make use of written material; to understand statistical data presented in graphical form. Cognitive skills: Ability in critical analysis, in appraising the quality of evidence, and in linking themes and multi-disciplinary approaches together; to gain perspective on their normal disciplinary approaches. Subject-specific/professional skills: Appraising evidence and succinctly summarising the conclusions they draw from it.
Timetabled teaching activities
Total contact hours: 30 hours; Lectures: 12 x 90 minutes; Seminars: 8 x 90 minutes (for case studies and discussions of topics); Module duration (weeks): One week.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: IB91U-15)|
|A1 (Assessed work only)||Group Project||30%|
|3000 word essay||60%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate International Business (N120) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Business (Marketing) (N1B0) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Business (Consulting) (N1B4) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Business (Consulting) (N1B4) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Business (Accounting & Finance) (N1C2) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught (Financial Management) (N1C3) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Management (N2N1) - Year 1