- Module code: IB96N
- Module name: Researching Human Resource Management & Employment Relations
- Department: Warwick Business School
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
(i)to provide an introduction to methodological debates in social science research and industrial/employee relations in particular; (ii)to enable students to develop an appreciation of the strengths and weaknesses of particular research methods used in the study of industrial/employee relations and to apply this to conducting a methodologically rigorous and critically reflexive research dissertation.
Principal learning outcomes
Subject knowledge and understanding: demonstrate a theoretical understanding of the different ontological and epistemological assumptions which underpin research on industrial/employee relations; demonstrate an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a variety of research designs and research methods for the collection and analysis of data. Key Skills: verbally present a coherent and feasible research proposal; work as part of a research team to formulate and design a research project using appropriate research methodologies. Cognitive Skills: demonstrate an understanding of how different ontological and epistemological assumption underpin particular research methods for collecting and analysing data; demonstrate an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a range of research methods for collecting and analysing quantitative and qualitative data; Subject-Specific/Professional Skills; Formulate hypotheses/research questions and design a research project using appropriate methodologies suitable for a Master’s level dissertation.
Timetabled teaching activities
"Total contact hours: 30 Lectures per week: 1 x 2 hours Tutorials per week: 1 x 1 hour Module duration (weeks, if applicable) 10"
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: IB96N-15)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Group Presentations||10%|
|2500 word individual assignment||90%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Human Resource Management and Employment Relations (N60A) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Human Resource Management and Employment Relations (N60A) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Human Resource Management and Employment Relations (Part-Time) (N60B) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Taught Human Resource Management and Employment Relations (Part-Time) (N60B) - Year 2