- Module code: IB9AG
- Module name: Judgement & Decision Making
- Department: Warwick Business School
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
"This module outlines the key principles and phenomena underlying human judgement and decision making. It aims to encourage students to see how the insights from this work can (i)Understand the origins of rational and irrationality in financial decision makers, and financial markets; (ii)Help improve their own financial decision?making, judgements and predictions, by providing an awareness of biases and pitfalls; (iii)Provide a broader understanding of decision?making throughout the finance industry, including strategic and managerial decision?making."
Principal learning outcomes
Subject Knowledge - Understand the research methods and results of research on human judgement and decision making and should be able to: critically evaluate experimental research; understand and apply a range of theoretical perspectives on human decision making; identify key judgement and decision making biases; Understand, and be able to present orally and in writing their understanding of the field of judgement and decision making and its relevance to finance.Key Skills: Demonstrate logic and justification within skills of argument construction; Demonstrate confidence in discussing both orally and in writing theoretical and empirical issues of practical relevance (integrating theory and practice); Demonstrate business relevant presentation skills; Write in an academically appropriate way. Subject Specific Skills: Critical evaluation of experimental data; assessing the “external validity” of lab results; Critical reflection on the scope and limits of human rationality.
Timetabled teaching activities
Total contact hours: 27. Lectures per week: 1.5 hours. Seminars per week: 1.5 hours (to follow on from lecture session and including breakout and oral presentation activity). Module duration (weeks, if applicable): 9 weeks.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: IB9AG-15)|
|A (Assessed work only)||3000 word essay||80%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Postgraduate Taught Finance with Behavioural Science (N301) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Behavioural Finance (N304) - Year 1
- Postgraduate Behavioural Finance (N304) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Behavioural Finance (N304) - Year 3
- Postgraduate Behavioural Finance (N304) - Year 4
- Postgraduate Taught Finance and Economics (LN1J) - Year 2
- Postgraduate Taught Business (Organisation Science) (N1B2) - Year 2
- MSc in Finance (N300) - Year 2
- MSc in Accounting and Finance (N4N3) - Year 2