- Module code: EN213
- Module name: U.S. Writing & Culture 1780-1920
- Department: English and Comparative Literary Studies
- Credit: 30
Module content and teaching
This module explores central issues in US literary and discursive writing in texts spanning the ‘long’ nineteenth century, from the early Republic to the end of the First World War. The challenges of the module are threefold: to familiarize you with texts by C19 US writers and various means of interpreting them; to situate literary and discursive writing within its social and historical contexts; and to give you a sense of how the discipline of American Studies has dealt with these matters.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of this module you will have: Read a range of US writing between the late eighteenth and early twentieth centuries; become familiar with issues of race (slavery), gender, and class and their representation in C19 US texts; developed a sense of the social and historical contexts pertinent to the texts we read; sharpened your awareness of different critical approaches to reading and interpreting these texts; become prepared to take other Americanist modules; improved your ability to closely analyze textual passages; increased your argumentative skill in writing academic essays.
Timetabled teaching activities
Weekly lecture and seminars.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|30 CATS (Module code: EN213-30)|
|C3 (Assessed/examined work)||First 2500 word essay||20%|
|Second 5000 word essay||30%|
|2 hour examination (Summer)||50%|
|V1 (Visiting students only)||Assessed/visiting students attending single term only||100%|
|V2 (Visiting students only)||Assessed/visiting students attending two terms (Terms 1 & 2)||50%|
|Assessed/visiting students attending two terms (Terms 2 & 3)||50%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Comparative American Studies (Q405) - Year 4
- Undergraduate History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas (V230) - Year 2
- Undergraduate History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas (V230) - Year 4
- Undergraduate History, Literature and Cultures of the Americas (V231) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Philosophy and Literature with Intercalated Year (VQ73) - Year 2