- Module code: ES173
- Module name: Biomedical Engineering
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
This module focuses on providing Engineers and physical scientists with a fundamental introductory understanding of the structure and function of the human body and function of cells. The objective is to prepare the Engineer to be able to contribute technically within a BioMedical environment.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to: gain a general overview to the manner in which technology is changing biomedical science; understand how to mathematical modelling is applicable within a biomedical context; create a medically biased CAD and 3D graphical representation suitable for example for a rapid prototyping application; understand the structure of DNA and how the process of DNA sequencing is performed; understand how the human body functions. As an example: The Heart and the circulatory system. The nature of the material, fluid flow rate and forces experienced. An example of a construction of an artificial heart will be an example of the implant of technology; communicate in a professional and scientific manner; demonstrate an ability to learn; exercise time management; demonstrate cognitive skills; apply basic numerical skills to the solution of problems.
Timetabled teaching activities
Spring. Lectures, 20hrs; Seminars 12 hours; example classes 3 hours; tutorials 3 hours; laboratory sessions 6 hours. 100 hours self study.
Other essential notes
This module is one of a suite of first year options designed to complement the engineering and business studies of Engineering Students with a broader view of the world in which they will work. The course will assume an ‘A-level’ knowledge of mathematics and Physics, but only a rudimentary knowledge of how the body works.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES173-15)|
|D1 (Assessed/examined work)||Assessed Course Work||10%|
|Assessed Course Work||15%|
|Assessed Course Work||5%|
|Examination - Main Summer Exam Period (weeks 4-9)||70%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- BEng Engineering (H106) - Year 1
- MEng Engineering (H107) - Year 1
- BEng Civil Engineering (H210) - Year 1
- MEng Civil Engineering (H211) - Year 1
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (H310) - Year 1
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (H311) - Year 1
- BEng Automotive Engineering (H330) - Year 1
- MEng Automotive Engineering (H331) - Year 1
- BEng Electronic Engineering (H634) - Year 1
- MEng Electronic Engineering (H635) - Year 1
- MEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH37) - Year 1
- BEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH73) - Year 1
- BEng Engineering Business Management (HN12) - Year 1