- Module code: ES176
- Module name: Foundation Mathematics
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
Within the context of the syllabus, students should be able to manipulate mathematical formulae, to follow mathematical argument, to formulate engineering problems in mathematical form and to solve these. In particular, this module provides the necessary mathematical background for ES180 Technological Science 1 for those students without 'A' level, or equivalent, Mathematics.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to: Demonstrate an understanding of mathematics and mathematical processes cconsistent with the syllabus; Reason logically and recognise incorrect reasoning; Generalise and to construct mathematical proofs; Understand coherence and progression in mathematics and recognise how different areas of mathematics can be connected; Recognise how a situation may be represented mathematically and understand the relationship between ‘real-world’ problems and standard and other mathematical models and how these can be refined and improved; Use mathematics as an effective means of communication; Use technology such as calculators and computers effectively, recognise when such use may be inappropriate and be aware of limitation; Take increasing responsibility for their own learning and the evaluation of their own mathematical development.
Timetabled teaching activities
All terms. Lectures: There are 20 lectures in all over the first two terms including two tests. Briefing sheets for the lectures are available here.Seminars: are compulsory and allows us to provide additional help, particularly before or after the tests, and to aid revision for the final examination.
Other essential notes
This module is provided for students that do not have ‘A’ level mathematics (or an equivalent). It is intended to enable such students to rapidly gain the necessary mathematical skills and confidence to engage with, and successfully complete, other engineering modules in the First Year.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES176-15)|
|D1 (Assessed/examined work)||Assessed Course Work||10%|
|Assessed Course Work||10%|
|Assessed Course Work||0%|
|Examination - Main Summer Exam Period (weeks 4-9)||80%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- BEng Engineering (H106) - Year 1
- MEng Engineering (H107) - Year 1
- BEng Civil Engineering (H210) - Year 1
- MEng Civil Engineering (H211) - Year 1
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (H310) - Year 1
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (H311) - Year 1
- BEng Automotive Engineering (H330) - Year 1
- MEng Automotive Engineering (H331) - Year 1
- BEng Electronic Engineering (H634) - Year 1
- MEng Electronic Engineering (H635) - Year 1
- MEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH37) - Year 1
- BEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH73) - Year 1
- BEng Engineering Business Management (HN12) - Year 1