- Module code: ES181
- Module name: Technology in International Development
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
Many assumptions taken for granted in “normal” engineering design are not necessarily applicable in the low-income countries that make up more than half the world’s population. The module examines technology choice in the context of globalisation of manufacturing, low-income countries and rural development. Illustrations are drawn from agriculture, transport and housing.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to:Demonstrate awareness of the diversity of systems for production of goods and services used throughout the world and the changes taking place within them as well as the ancillary benefits of their production; Show detailed knowledge of current technologies used for production in agriculture, transport and housing in low-income countries; Make and justify technology choices based on economic, social and environmental criteria; Understand the changes taking place in these technologies and how and why these changes come about; Balance complex arguments; Demonstrate improved written, graphical and oral communication skills.
Timetabled teaching activities
All terms. 30 lectures, 8 seminars and 1 site visit.
Other essential notes
This module is one of a suite of new first year options designed to complement the engineering and business studies of Engineering Students by inviting them to adopt a broader view of the world in which they will work.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES181-15)|
|C1 (Assessed/examined work)||Assessed Course Work||15%|
|Assessed Course Work||25%|
|Assessed Course Work||10%|
|Assessed Course Work||0%|
|Examination - Main Summer Exam Period (weeks 4-9)||50%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- BEng Engineering (H106) - Year 1
- MEng Engineering (H107) - Year 1
- BEng Civil Engineering (H210) - Year 1
- MEng Civil Engineering (H211) - Year 1
- BEng Mechanical Engineering (H310) - Year 1
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (H311) - Year 1
- BEng Automotive Engineering (H330) - Year 1
- MEng Automotive Engineering (H331) - Year 1
- BEng Electronic Engineering (H634) - Year 1
- MEng Electronic Engineering (H635) - Year 1
- MEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH37) - Year 1
- BEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering (HH73) - Year 1
- BEng Engineering Business Management (HN12) - Year 1