- Module code: ES3E9
- Module name: Exchange Year
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 120
Module content and teaching
To provide students with the opportunity to • Demonstrate the ability to study abroad for a year at a host University approved by the department. • Experience and gain a deeper understanding of the social and cultural environment of the host city and country. • Improve foreign language skills [in exchanges where the language is not English]. • Broaden understanding and knowledge of their subject specialism(s). • Travel abroad and achieve personal development in preparation for employment and global citizenship.
Principal learning outcomes
On completion of this module students will have: • Broadened their knowledge and understanding of their subject specialism(s). • Developed the qualities and transferable skills necessary for working or studying in another country and in a different academic system. • Developed enhanced oral and written language skills through the demands of study in a different country. • Developed transferable skills in sensitivity to diversity in terms of culture and inter-cultural competencies.
Timetabled teaching activities
Teaching activities will be as provided by the host institution for its own students.
Other essential notes
The actual experience of the year abroad will vary for students, dependent on the country and University attended.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|120 CATS (Module code: ES3E9-120)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Exchange Year||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- MEng Engineering with Exchange Year (H117) - Year 3
- MEng Civil Engineering with Exchange Year (H21A) - Year 3
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Exchange Year (H320) - Year 3
- MEng Electronic Engineering with Exchange Year (H64Z) - Year 3
- MEng Systems Engineering with Exchange Year (HH3A) - Year 3
- MEng Manufacturing and Mechanical Engineering with Exchange Year (HH79) - Year 3