- Module code: ES4D8
- Module name: Advanced Geotechnical Engineering
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
To deepen knowledge and understanding across advanced topics in geotechnical engineering. To instil an appreciation of the principles, theories and concepts related to Tunnelling and Underground Space, Legislation & Planning about Contaminated Ground, Risk assessment for Contaminated Land and Groundwater, Ground improvement techniques. The students will be given the opportunity in the field work to carry out practical activities related to geological controls on instability.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module the student should be able to: • Demonstrate advanced understanding of how to manage ground engineering problems • Apply and evaluate the techniques currently available for ground improvement and specify techniques for different site conditions. • Critically evaluate design methods for the treatment and containment of waste and the types of problems which may arise in the development of difficult, derelict and contaminated land. • Synthesise geotechnical and other data and apply it to the design of underground openings.
Timetabled teaching activities
19 x 1 hrs lectures, 4 hrs of tutorials, 4 hrs of labs, 3 x 1hr revision classes and 3 days x 8 hours of residential field course. Total of 54 hours.
Other essential notes
Advice and feedback hours are available for answering questions on the lecture material (theory and examples)..
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES4D8-15)|
|B (Examination only)||3 hour examination (Summer)||100%|
|VA (Visiting students only)||100% assessed (part year) visiting||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- MEng Engineering (H107) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering with Intercalated Year (H109) - Year 5
- MEng Engineering (H10C) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10D) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10G) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10K) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10L) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10M) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering with Year in Research (H110) - Year 5
- MEng Civil Engineering (H20A) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering (H20B) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering (H211) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering with Intercalated Year (H212) - Year 5
- MEng Civil Engineering with Year in Research (H213) - Year 5
- MEng Civil Engineering with Exchange Year (H21A) - Year 4