- Module code: ES4F7
- Module name: Conceptual and Creative Structural Engineering Design
- Department: School of Engineering
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
The aim of the module is to synthesise all earlier structural engineering topics and develop students’ abilities so they can work at the cutting edge of structural engineering practice on graduation, and in the future.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module, the student should be able to: 1. Use the principles of structural engineering to develop creative, novel, and effective solutions to a brief. 2. Use, and understand the limitations of using, computational methods in structural engineering design. 3. Critique conceptual structural engineering designs produced by others and provide effective feedback. 4. Act upon feedback loop to improve structural engineering designs. 5. Appreciate the broader spectrum of influences on structural design such as architecture, art, precedent and planning. 6. Communicate structural engineering ideas and designs to technical and non-technical audiences.
Timetabled teaching activities
30 hours of flat-space studio-style teaching comprising of 25 hours group working with continuous feedback. 5 hours seminars.
Other essential notes
Advice and feedback hours are available for answering questions on the lecture material (theory and examples).
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ES4F7-15)|
|A (Assessed work only)||Design Portfolio||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- MEng Engineering (H107) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering with Intercalated Year (H109) - Year 5
- MEng Engineering (H10C) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10D) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10G) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10K) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10L) - Year 4
- MEng Engineering (H10M) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering (H20A) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering (H20B) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering (H211) - Year 4
- MEng Civil Engineering with Intercalated Year (H212) - Year 5
- MEng Civil Engineering with Exchange Year (H21A) - Year 4