- Module code: ET215
- Module name: Quantitative Research Methods
- Department: Centre for Applied Linguistics
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
This module aims to introduce selected data collection methods and analytical options relevant to language, culture and communication. This will further include the development of relevant skills in data collection and analysis as well as to engage critically with current issues in researching language, culture and communication using quantitative methods. Thus, this module will provide a solid foundation in relevant research skills and methods to allow students to undertake an in-depth study of issues relating to intercultural linguistics.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of the module, the student should be able to demonstrate critical thinking skills with regards to quantitative research within the field of language, culture and communication. Furthermore, the student should be confident in designing, carrying out, and writing up quantitative research studies. This also includes the demonstration of intellectual curiosity in the field of Applied Linguistics and problem solving abilities. Lastly, the research poster project and assignment should promote students’ time management and personal/project management abilities as well as communicating complex ideas in a clear and engaging way.
Timetabled teaching activities
30 hours in Weeks 1 – 10 in Term 1, made up of 10 two-hour lectures and 10 one-hour tutorials.
Other essential notes
Students are required to download and use SPSS for this module. The module provides 15 credits/CATS.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: ET215-15)|
|BR (Examination only)||2 hour examination (Summer) previous year's syllabus||100%|
|C (Assessed/examined work)||2000 word assignment||50%|
|2 hour examination (Summer)||50%|
|VA (Visiting students only)||100% assessed (part year) visiting||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Language, Culture and Communication (X3Q5) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Language, Culture and Communication (with Year Abroad) (X3Q6) - Year 4
- Undergraduate Linguistics with German (Q1R2) - Year 2
- Undergraduate Linguistics with Japanese (with Year Abroad) (Q2T2) - Year 2
- Undergraduate Linguistics with Arabic (with Year Abroad) (Q2T6) - Year 2
- Undergraduate Linguistics with German (with Intercalated Year) (Q1A2) - Year 2
- Undergraduate Linguistics with French (Q1R1) - Year 2
- Undergraduate Linguistics with Portuguese (Q1R5) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Linguistics with Portuguese (with Year Abroad) (Q2R5) - Year 2