- Module code: MA112
- Module name: Experimental Mathematics
- Department: Mathematics Institute
- Credit: 6
Module content and teaching
To demonstrate that mathematical ideas and techniques can be used to predict and explain 'real life' phenomena and that, conversely, physical intuition can lead to mathematical insights.
Principal learning outcomes
By the end of this module you should be able: 1. To show how ordinary differential equations can be used model coupled and nonlinear oscillators and how their solutions are related to the behaviour of the physical systems; 2. To provide an introduction to Laplace's equation and its application to electrical potential theory; 3. To illustrate the use of simple group theoretical ideas in problems with symmetries; 4. To provide an opportunity for students to develop report writing skills; 5. To provide an opportunity for students to develop the ability to work in groups.
Timetabled teaching activities
This module consists of a series of 5 laboratory projects which combine physical or computer experiments with mathematical modelling and analysis.
Other essential notes
"Prerequisites: Introductory modules on differential equations (e.g. MA133 Differential Equations), vector algebra and analysis (e.g. MA134 Geometry and Motion), and group theory (e.g. MA132 Foundations). "
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|6 CATS (Module code: MA112-6)|
|A (Assessed work only)||First Laboratory||20%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Mathematics (BSc) (G100) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics with Intercalated Year (G101) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics (MMath) (G103) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics (MMath) with Study in Europe (G106) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Business Studies (with Intercalated Year) (G1N2) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Business Studies (G1NC) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Discrete Mathematics (G4G1) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Discrete Mathematics (G4G3) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Economics (GL11) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Economics (with Intercalated Year) (GL12) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Philosophy (GV17) - Year 1
- Undergraduate Mathematics and Philosophy with Intercalated Year (GV18) - Year 1