- Module code: QS305
- Module name: Numbers in the Workplace (Placement)
- Department: Politics and International Studies
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
To enable students to: • Undertake a 4-week work placement; • Prepare (via seminars, workshops and practice sessions) for consultancy work in quantitative analysis during their placement; • Reflecting on the transferable and disciplinary skills gained on the placement, and applying the learning back into the discipline in their third year work; • Gain a practical experience of working with numerical data in the workplace and appreciate their role.
Principal learning outcomes
• Develop a range of transferable professional skills for future employment (e.g. CV design, job application, cover letter. etc.); • Develop a critical understanding of the role of data analysis in the workplace. • Develop professional practice with clients; • Become familiar with key terminology and soft skills associated with acting as a consultant in quantitative analysis.
Timetabled teaching activities
Preparatory sessions in Year 2.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: QS305-15)|
|A1 (Assessed work only)||Poster||40%|
|Reflective Essay (2500 words)||60%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Sociology and Quantitative Methods (L311) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Sociology and Quantitative Methods with Intercalated Year (L312) - Year 4
- Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods (M162) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Politics, International Studies and Quantitative Methods (with Intercalated Year) (M167) - Year 4