- Module code: PS341
- Module name: Cognitive Science
- Department: Psychology
- Credit: 15
Module content and teaching
"The aim of this module is: to introduce interdisciplinary approaches to the study of higher cognitive processes; to familiarise students with computational and other formal modelling; to illustrate the application of modelling to cognitive processes."
Principal learning outcomes
"Students who successfully complete this module will be able to demonstrate that they can: Implement a small cognitive model; Integrate material across areas within psychology and across traditional subject discipline boundaries; Compare and critically evaluate the performance of formal models as accounts of cognitive processing; Understand and discuss key theoretical topics in cognitive science, particularly problems linked by the themes of word meaning, concepts, and common sense reasoning. "
Timetabled teaching activities
Length of module: 12 weeks. One double lecture or workshop per week. Attendance is compulsory.
|Assessment group||Assessment name||Percentage|
|15 CATS (Module code: PS341-15)|
|D1 (Assessed/examined work)||Worksheet 1||4%|
|2 hour examination (Summer)||67%|
|VA (Visiting students only)||100% assessed Visiting/Exchange PART-YEAR ONLY||100%|
This module is available on the following courses:
- Undergraduate Psychology (C800) - Year 3
- Undergraduate Psychology (with Intercalated year) (C801) - Year 4
- Postgraduate Taught Psychological Research (C8P9) - Year 1
- BA in Philosophy with Psychology (VL78) - Year 3
- BA in Philosophy with Psychology (with Intercalated year) (VL79) - Year 4