Mandar is a Civil Engineering graduate applying to an engineering graduate scheme. Note how he gives examples to demonstrate to the employer that he has developed the skills required for the role. Employers welcome focused one-paged CVs but do check with each employer to see what their specific requirements may be.
You can view the job description before reading the CV to see how the candidate has covered key aspects of the role. It is crucial that the CV addresses each aspect of the job description, showing that you have the potential to develop. Avoid including everything about yourself - employers will get frustrated with what they see as irrelevant information.
Turn comments to see 'good practice' and 'areas for further improvement' as identified by a Job Search Adviser.
20 Kinderton Close, Welwyn,
Hertfordshire, AL4 9ZZ, UK
University of Warwick, Coventry, UK
MEng in Civil Engineering. Current grade 2.1. Expected final degree - Upper Second Class (2.1) Honours
Relevant modules included:
- Design for sustainability
- Construction management
- Global water and sanitation technologies
- Civil engineering materials and structural analysis
Designed, built and tested a Wave Energy Conversion Device as part of final year project work.
Stanborough School, Welwyn Garden City, UK
- A Levels - Math(A), Economics(B), Biology(C)
- GSCEs - 5 A, 5 B, 2 C
Laing O'Rouke - Expanded Structures, Assistant Engineer
Worked within the Construction Management division on the erection of the sub- and superstructure frame at the new London Heathrow T2A terminal.
- Calculated concrete requirements and ensured the quality of concrete being poured was adequate.
- Monitored the volumes of concrete being poured and wastage produced throughout the site.
- Supervised operatives on different tasks ensuring safety and finished quality.
- Managed the concrete database recording the results of concrete strength tests & volumes poured.
Ugandan Rural Development and Training Program (URDT), Researcher
- Conducted a micro-hydro feasibility study and undertook research into rain water harvesting kits.
- Applied engineering skills and understanding to meet the needs of the rural communities.
- Contributed to and delivered segments of daily briefings to multi-national teams of engineers.
- Presented results to a large audience of Ugandan locals, academics and other university students.
Xaxanas, Fosters and Partners, Waitrose, Various customer service roles
- Interacted and communicated effectively with customers to deliver quality service and resolve complaints.
- Co-ordinated small teams to deliver set goals, such as charitable events at Waitrose.
- Confident with core MS-Office (Word, Excel, Publisher and Powerpoint).
- Used CAD software including SolidWorks and ABAQUS to model various structures including I-beams and automotive gear shift forks.
- Travel – good understanding of global issues and enjoy keeping up to date with world events.
- Sports – competed for Hertfordshire in both tennis and swimming at junior level.
- ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers) – Affiliate member
- IMechE (Institution of Mechanical Engineers) – Affiliate member
- Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) certificate
References are available on request.
We don't believe that any CV is perfect but one very like this has worked for our students. Remember this CV is based on a real CV, but details in this example have been anonomised. Information such as name, organisations mentioned, and projects that would identify an individual may have been changed.