Join our new Advance Programme, open to UK/Home students with a widening participation background, to help you apply for a paid spring or summer internship with a graduate employer, in the UK or overseas.
Spend your Internship developing new skills and gaining valuable experience to help you enhance your CV and develop your future career, whatever country and career path you choose.
Warwick Advance gives you:
- Dedicated support to apply for a pool of paid UK or international spring and summer internships, across a range of industry sectors
- Valuable work experience skills - communication, interpersonal, teamwork, problem-solving and intercultural
- 1:1 mentoring support throughout the programme from employers engaged on the programme
- Access to resources and workshops pre, during and post your internship experience
- Funding support for UK/overseas internship travel
- Opportunity to be fast-tracked onto an employer’s graduate programme
Take the Advance opportunity to help you shape your choices, your career and stand out from the crowd.
The scheme is only open to Warwick widening participation UK/Home students and graduates. Please check your eligibility before applying.
To be eligible to join this programme:
- This must be your first degree of study.
- Your permanent home postcode (i.e. your non-term time address) should be in a neighbourhood with low progression rates to higher education.*
- You must be eligible for both the tuition fee and full maintenance loan, even if you have not taken out one or other of these loans.
* This is determined by your postcode and the programme manager will check this using our postcode checker.
Priority will be given to applications from:
- Students who are the first in family to attend university.
- Care Leavers / student who have lived in local authority care (minimum of 13 weeks in local authority care within the last 15 years)
- Students from a Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic group
- Students who are 21 on over at the point of starting their studies with us
- Students who have participated in one of the University of Warwick access programmes (Unitracks, Pathways, Realising Opportunities)
- Students who are current members of our Warwick Scholars or Multicultural Scholars Programmes.
As part of the application process you may be required to provide supporting documentation/evidence.
Graduate employers across a broad range of sectors will be offering internship and work experience opportunities throughout the academic year. These will be advertised to students enrolled on the Advance programme. Employers advertising via the programme have committed to providing one to one feedback to students on their applications to enable you to succeed.
You may also apply for further positions advertised via myAdvantage although the opportunity for personal employer feedback from any applications made outside of the progamme is not always feasible.
We have a number of employers working with us to support the Warwick Advance Programme. These partners are committed to supporting WP Students here at Warwick and will be able to offer advice, guidance and support throughout the programme. This may be through workshops and skills sessions delivery, online resources and personal mentors where available, to support students enrolled.
Please visit the Employer profile pages to learn more
Internships potentially cost you money in terms of:
Accommodation and travel (including interview travel). You may need to pay upfront for accommodation and travel expenses before you receive your first pay check which tends to be at the end of your first working month. *Funding support may be available to support this.
Remember you will take home less than the advertised rate as most salaried earnings are subject to deductions for Income Tax and National Insurance. For more information, please see the GOV.UK website.
All internships will be hosted and paid directly by the employer. Students successful in securing an internship will be employed by the host employer and not the University of Warwick. Salary levels are set by the employer and will be clearly advertised. All internships offered via the programme will be paid.
Funds are available during the programme to support students with travel costs related to your internship applications and interviews and sessions offered by our employer partners externally to Warwick.
Students may join the programme at any time during the academic year but it is worth bearing in mind that spring and summer internships with graduate employers may have application deadlines in autumn and spring term so it is best to join as soon as possible to gain full advantage from the programme.
Once we have received your application and verified your eligibility, the programme manager will be in touch to welcome you on board and discuss the programme in full!