Skip to main content

Student Parking Certificates

Eligibility criteria

To apply you must be able to demonstrate that you meet all the criteria for one of the categories below:

Category Criteria Evidence needed
1. Personal carer responsibilities
  • You are the personal carer for a close relative, and you need to have a car at your term-time address to travel home regularly to provide care. And:
    • You live on campus and need to keep your car here to return home, or:
    • You live off campus but need to bring your car to campus so that you can travel home at any time and at short notice.
  • Appropriate evidence that confirms you are the official, personal carer, dated within the last three months.
2. Long term condition / disability (without a blue badge)
  • You are unable to use a pay and display machine or a flexi-pay scratch card as a result of having a long term condition/disability as defined by the Equality Act 2010 (financial factors excluded).
  • Appropriate medical evidence printed on headed paper, signed by a qualified professional and dated within the last three months.
3. Previous Student Parking Certificate recipient
  • You have previously been accepted for a Student Parking Certificate and you still meet the same criteria under which you were accepted (even if those criteria are no longer listed here).
  • The same evidence you provided previously, brought up to date in any way necessary.

Frequently asked questions

I don't meet the above criteria, what can I do?

Unfortunately, since parking is limited on campus, only students meeting the above criteria and providing appropriate evidence are eligible to be considered for a Student Parking certificate. Limited pay and display parking is available on campus.

If I recieve a Student Parking Certificate, where can I park?

You will recieve one of the following parking certificates:

Permit type Who gets it? Where can I park?
J Students studying at Gibbet Hill Campus Car parks marked "G", "B" and "F" on the map at
K Students studying or living at Westwood Campus Car parks marked "G", and the car park marked "R" on Westwood Campus on the map at
L Students who live in Lakeside/Cryfield Village Car parks marked "G" on the map at, and Lakeside Village residential parking
M All other students Car parks marked "G" on the map at

When should I apply?

You can submit an application at any time in the academic year. All parking certificates must be re-applied for each academic year and will not automatically renew. They must be displayed at all times when parking on campus.

When will I hear back from you?

During academic year 2018/19, applications will be considered on a fortnightly basis, so you should expect to hear back within 21 days.

In some cases, we may reply asking for you to confirm details or provide extra evidence.

If a Student Parking Certificate is not approved, can I appeal against the decision?

No, the decision is final. Unfortunately, we are unable to engage in any appeals process.

Do I need a Student Parking Certificate to park on campus overnight?

No, please see the new arrangements for overnight parking on campus.

How much does it cost?

We currently issue certificates at the equivalent price of the low-rate staff permit. Charges are reviewed on an annual basis.

Does a Student Parking Certificate guarantee me a parking space?

A Student Parking Certificate will not provide you with a designated parking space and it does not guarantee that a parking space will be available. It gives you access to the existing general, unrestricted parking on a 'first come, first served' basis. You are not entitled to park in a disabled bay without displaying a valid Blue Badge.

Does a Student Parking Certificate mean I can park near my accommodation?

No. A Student Parking Certificate provides access to Pay and Display car parks only, which all operate on a first come first served basis.

What happened to the "Off-site placement or regular off-site studying" category?

This former category was only applicable to 1st and 2nd year MBChBs. To streamline the process, these students can now apply for a permit via MBChB permits page

Additional Support

Students who can demonstrate severe financial hardship may apply to the Access to Learning Fund for additional support. Please note that the fund is not available to help with car parking costs. Details of how to apply to the Access to Learning Fund can be found at


If you have any queries that aren't answered above, please email