- 6 Hot-cross buns
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 pint of milk (use cream if you have some spare)
- Cinnamon and or nutmeg
- Vanilla pod
- Dried fruit
- Orange zest
- Split the vanilla pod, then put that and the zest of an orange in a pan with the milk, and heat gently to infuse.
- Secondly, slice the hot cross buns and butter.
- Whisk the egg, the yolks and sugar in a bowl, then add the milk and remove the vanilla pod.
- Layer the hot cross buns in a dish, adding the milk mixture at each layer, leave for a while so the hot cross buns can absorb some of the liquid.
- Cook in oven pre-heated to 160 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes. Give it a wobble to check if it is cooked and once it’s ready take them out to cool for 10 minutes.