Skip to main content Skip to navigation

COVID-19 Information for Funded PGRs

The information below is provided in addition to the Advice for All PGRS and we advise you to read that advice in the first instance.

The information below is subject to change as further advice and guidance comes from the University, funding bodies and the UK government. Up to date advice can be found at Please also see advice from UKRI.

During the COVID-19 outbreak funded PGR stipends will continue to be paid, unless a break is specifically requested by the student (i.e. by taking temporary withdrawal).

What if my research has been disrupted by to the COVID pandemic?

Always keep a record of the disruptions you are facing and keep in contact with your supervisor(s). Disruptions differ depending on your individual work/research or your personal and home life. You should first attempt to adapt and adjust your research project in consultation with your supervisor(s) to mitigate the delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and, where possible, plan to complete your research to a doctoral standard within your original funding period. New students should develop their projects from the outset with any future restrictions and limitations in mind.

  • If you are able to work remotely, including if you are self-isolating, you are encouraged to do so.
  • If you are unable to study because you are unwell or shielding you can claim paid sick leave.
  • If you are funded by a UKRI Research Council, a University of Warwick Scholarship or the Wolfson Foundation you have the opportunity to request a funded COVID extension when you are in the final twelve months of your current funding period.
  • If you are currently unable to study you can take annual leave (funded PGR students can take up to 8 weeks of paid annual leave per year, upon agreement with their supervisor).
  • If you are unable to continue to study full-time you can request a change in mode of attendance to part time (60%) study.
  • If you are unable to study at all for any reason you can request an unfunded Temporary Withdrawal for personal reasons. You would subsequently receive the remainer of your funded award upon resuming active study.
  • If you are in an unfunded period of study, or are unable to receive a funded COVID extension, you can request an unfunded extension to your period of registration.

I am on a Student visa, what do I need to do?

If you are on a Student visa (formally Tier 4 visa) you must seek always advice from the International Office prior to requesting a change to your studentship, including periods of absence, working remotely overseas or requesting an extension.